Esteemed Contributor

If and when this virus "dies down" for Summer,they are saying it will be back in Autumn.  What then....another span of months of quarantine?  It's enough to get you down. No vaccines,etc on the horizon.  

And no one has explained why warm weather matters to the infection. There are states that always have warm weather and they're just as infected as colder climate states. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the warm weather philosophy either.  If that's true, then what about California and Florida?

Trusted Contributor

Doctors have already said that the warm weather does not affect this flu. They have cases in countries like Taiwan, which is warm and humid.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

If and when this virus "dies down" for Summer,they are saying it will be back in Autumn.  What then....another span of months of quarantine?  It's enough to get you down. No vaccines,etc on the horizon.  

And no one has explained why warm weather matters to the infection. There are states that always have warm weather and they're just as infected as colder climate states. 

Isn't that generally how viral cold and flu seasons go? Mainly because kids are out of school for the summer so they can't catch and pass on a virus as efficiently as when they are all contained together at school. Kids (as much as we love them!) are major passers on of viruses to each other, their teachers, and their families.

But we're where we are right now with kids not being in school...It would just be a lot worse if they weren't. A school in Memphis, TN was planning to reopen on Monday, but they have pushed it back to May 4th.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The coronavirus is very fragile.  It's coated with a layer of lipid material (fat).  It makes sense that this could more easily be destroyed in hot weather, as it is by hot water or steam.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: After Corona,then what?

[ Edited ]

I used to teach nursing students at a large university. At that time, researchers were looking at cycles of melatonin and vitamin D during the winter months. It sounded promising as far as beginning to understand why this happened. 

Decades ago it was thought that because people were outside more in the summer rather than being in close contact, they were less likely to contract these kinds of illnesses. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it isn't just the warm or hot weather.  Perhaps it is exposure to ultra violet light.  Maybe being out in the sun helps eradicate it???

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Only time will tell.  They are most likely researching data on the long range affects.  Its a prediction they dont know for sure at this time.  This is strictly my opinion.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@KrimpetteI cannot for the life of me understand the suggestion that as soon as the warm weather sets in, everything will be all better  I'm not on Palm Beach where Mara-Lago is, but I'm not all that far away and we've had a few 90+ days already and the numbers still aren't all that comforting.  

The heat hasn't ever meant that we were safe from the flu let alone this rogue virus.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Maybe it isn't just the warm or hot weather.  Perhaps it is exposure to ultra violet light.  Maybe being out in the sun helps eradicate it???

No. Lifeguards and beach bunnies and agricultural workers and mailmen and gardeners and landscapers and ranchers and truck drivers and tanning salon goers all get a lot of UV light and they all still get colds.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr