Respected Contributor
The day after Christmas I start to put some of the decorations away. The tree and the outside lights come down on January 2.
Respected Contributor

I put my time to good use and began putting holiday decorations away yesterday.  Boxing up the ornaments, taking down the Christmas cards and other small decorations.  Today I finished it off and put away the lighted garland and my faux pointsettia plants, etc...I had no inside tree to deal with. 

I'm glad to have things back to normal.  2-3 weeks of extra clutter is enough for me.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Enjoying our Nativity scene that my husband made many years ago from drift wood washing up to shore from two different beaches::

` Oahu, Hawaii and

` West Keys, Florida. 

Very little of any lights,

or childhood decorations

were put out.

One large Lamplight that stays glowing all of the time. Beautiful like a star with its design, though~ Smiley Happy

Those days, with a gala of decor was when our son was small and at home. 

No tree or anything elaborate; we enjoyed being together, having a peaceful dinner and being thankful for another gathering. 

Again, I love the Nativity scene and it 'just' ~ may stay whenever ...or forever.

"I don't become tired of anything for the holiday.  We wait one day before Christmas to do any small decorations".  

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate for Christmas Dec 1st.  This year everything was put away on Boxing Day.  We pulled the outdoor laser lights a couple of days ago during a thaw and took down the outdoor blue spruce tree lights yesterday before a storm.  All done for another year.  Our street was very pretty this year.  LM

Honored Contributor

Tree is down and stored away. The creche will stay up until Candlemas perhaps, but for certain, not until  12 th Night is over..

Super Contributor

our christmas stays up year round. it is something my godparents did when i was growing up. so i've adopted the idea. if we need a little christmas to lift our spirits we can easily find it at our house, anytime. but usually the tree lights remain off until christmas in july.  and then we turn them on all month. and off again until late september. we don't have any lights outside. too much trouble to hang them at our age.  

Trusted Contributor

My tree usually comes down two or three days after Christmas.  I like having my house back to "normal."

Another reason I take it down so soon is because it's up the weekend before Thanksgiving. Once Christmas Day is over, I feel like the holidays are over and I get a little sad.  There's no point in a Christmas Tree when there is no more Christmas.  I know others completely disagree and I understand that, but it's just the way I feel about it. 

Honored Contributor

I always heard it was bad luck to take your tree down, etc. before New Years.  I usually take my things down the day after.  However, this year, I think I will leave everything up for the whole week. Why not?  DH and I enjoy it so much.  And -- it's a lot of work taking it all down and boxing if all up.  The house looks so bare and drab without it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Usually I'm tired of Christmas decor and want my house back to normal ASAP.  I've always packed up all the Christmas stuff starting on Dec. 26.  Until this year.  Hubster announced he wanted the tree, etc., left up till after New Year's, so I agreed.  Then, 2 days after Christmas, he said he was 'sick' of the big tree, mantle lights, etc., so he pitched in and helped and we got all of it boxed up and back in the basement within hours (alone, it takes me 2 days).  Maybe that's what it takes to get him to help.... just wait till he's tired of it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

We don't take our Christmas decorations down until 3 Kings Day, Epiphiny, January 6th.  We leave up Winter decorations. Outdoor wreaths, snowmen decorations.  Love decorations for the holidays. Feel so sad to put them away.