Honored Contributor

Re: African Parks plan to repopulate diminished wildlife

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@GingerPeach

Thank you for this bit of good news!Heart

It may be 'baby-steps', but I'll gladly take 'em!

I agree with you, @KingstonsMom!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

A May 18 Washington Post article discusses the African Parks work airlifting lions, elephants, rhinos, and other wild animals, taking them to areas where their populations have been decimated.

In these new areas, they are placed in security-patrolled parks with fenced boundaries.

This is not ideal since the animals can't roam freely and they are still not 100% safe, but their populations are increasing in these areas.

In these times, it may be a viable solution for now.   It's not an optimum solution, obviously.   I really hope they continue doing as much as possible to keep them safe from poachers.  Apparently security and fencing are "beefed up."  Education is key, of course, to preventing poaching in the first place.  And eliminating trophy hunting.

@Drythe, in case you missed this story, I thought you might be interested.  And @KingstonsMom and I'm sure others I've missed would find this of interest.

@GingerPeach  On PBS the other night, they were capturing twenty or so giraffes, two males, to move them elsewhere to breed, fascinating to watch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Following up to read more about this, I visited the African Parks website.    Looks like an impressive organization doing good works:

african-parks.org

One of the articles about this repopulation mentions "...African Parks uses 100 percent of its donations for the protection of Africa’s wildlife... "

earth.com/news/african-parks-transports-animals

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Where are they airlifting them from? This could be a problem, too. Relocation doesn't always work and sometimes it can have a negative affect. You can't just split up a family and expect something good to become of them. 

If they're relocating them from populated areas to isolated parks, it's probably best for everyone. People in America get upset at rabbits raiding their gardens. Imagine a herd of elephants raiding your garden. Those big and majestic creatures are amazing to those of us who don't have to live with them. Put a herd of elephants in your neighborhood though, and their majesty starts to fade pretty quickly. They go from, "Wow! What an amazing animal!" to "Will someone get that big stupid thing out of here?" pretty quickly. There are many parts of America where elephants could be released to live freely, but living with elephants isn't nearly as much fun as admiring them from afar. Moving animals from populated areas to isolated parks is best for both the animals and the humans.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!