Honored Contributor

African Parks plan to repopulate diminished wildlife

[ Edited ]

A May 18 Washington Post article discusses the African Parks work airlifting lions, elephants, rhinos, and other wild animals, taking them to areas where their populations have been decimated.

In these new areas, they are placed in security-patrolled parks with fenced boundaries.

This is not ideal since the animals can't roam freely and they are still not 100% safe, but their populations are increasing in these areas.

In these times, it may be a viable solution for now.   It's not an optimum solution, obviously.   I really hope they continue doing as much as possible to keep them safe from poachers.  Apparently security and fencing are "beefed up."  Education is key, of course, to preventing poaching in the first place.  And eliminating trophy hunting.

@Drythe, in case you missed this story, I thought you might be interested.  And @KingstonsMom and I'm sure others I've missed would find this of interest.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: African Parks plan to repopulate diminished wildlife

I saw on TV they are also doing things like dying their tusks bright pink , rendering them useless to sell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched a show recently about the little animal called a pangolin. Most people have never heard of them but they are the most illegally trafficked animal on the planet and their numbers are dwindling rapidly. Most are bought and sold in the Far East for the scales to use in 'medicine'. There is no protection order placed on them yet because the problem is so huge that officials are having a difficult time establishing a starting point. African pangolins are the next population that will be targeted once the Asian pangolins are gone. They are so cute!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is tragic to me to think of poachers murdering these magnificent animals. Fencing them into secure areas is hardly a solution, but if even one breed is increasing, they are making progress. The trophy-hunting won't stop until big money can't buy a personal guide to show them where to kill innocent animals.

Respected Contributor

That's a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see a world wide ban on trophy hunting too. 

Honored Contributor

If they'd quit allowing rich trophy hunter kill their prime examples of a species for a price, they might great alleviate their problem.

Remember Cecil the lion?  Last week it was revealed that the American dentist was using a compound bow, not a gun, and shot Cecil with an arrow.  He lived and suffered for hours afterwards.  I guess no one was allowed to shoot him and end his agony.  This is beyond disgusting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sounds like Noah's Ark all over again.

Honored Contributor

'A' is a rich country (many natural resources, gems, diamonds, etc., etc.). 

It's about time that some of their enormous profit(s) goes toward helping these wild, endangered animals.

Truly a step in the right direction.

Let's wish and hope that these animals will continue to remain safe.

Sending many lucky stars over there. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Thank you for this bit of good news!Heart

It may be 'baby-steps', but I'll gladly take 'em!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where are they airlifting them from? This could be a problem, too. Relocation doesn't always work and sometimes it can have a negative affect. You can't just split up a family and expect something good to become of them.