Honored Contributor

Our delivery person has between 6 and 9 AM to be considered timely by the newspaper office. I only complained once when we didn't get a paper three times in seven days. I did briefly think about retribution but felt I was justified in speaking up. No problems resulted.

Respected Contributor

Re: Afraid of complaining?

[ Edited ]

Back when we got the paper delivered, it varied as to when the actual delivery happened. We honestly couldn’t care less. Too many variables that could be encountered and not important enough to stress about it. Life requires flexibility and we are easy going over here.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I think it is possible that the paper delivery person may of had a good reason for not being on your time table. He could be held up because of a flat tire/ car trouble Or road construction (our road had many delays due to road construction). How about cutting a little slack. You got your paper so you got what you paid for just not when you thought you should.

@CLHS68, you make an excellent point for occasional lateness, and anybody who complained about that would surely be an annoying stickler.

But as I stressed here, our "newish" delivery person (it's been at least six months) is considerably late far more than he is close to his required delivery time. In the last two months, I can think of only a few days that he was anywhere close to delivering on time.

As for getting what I paid for, yes, indeed. But the "contract" includes the stated delivery times very clearly. The LAT doesn't give a window of time but a specific deadline for weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Again, I certainly believe in a grace period. I would not have complained if our guy was just a few minutes after the designated delivery time.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

Back when we got the paper delivered, it varied as to when the actual delivery happened. We honestly couldn’t care less. Too many variables that could be encountered and not important enough to stress about it. Life requires flexibility and we are easy going over here.

That's great, @AmericanBulldogMom. It sounds as if it works out very well for you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

Did you see where the OP  stated her contract with the paper gave a guarantee of delivery times?  Payment of the bill requires the paper to live up to the agreement they made.  That's a contract.

I'm pretty easygoing too, but over here, if I live up to my end of a contract, I expect the same from the other party.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I shouldn’t share this but both of my sons had paper routes  to earn money in jr high, something I wasn’t too keen on in the first place.  One morning I got a call from the Seattle Times that several customers were irate that their papers hadn’t arrived.  I panicked because I knew that son had left on time to collect his papers for delivery.  I jumped into the car to look for him.  He was curled up on someone’s porch, with his head resting on his bag stuffed with undelivered papers, sound asleep😏

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3

I just dont understand how you wanted the newspaper to solve the delivery problem to your address but at the same keep your anonymity .......how? If the Supervisor asked the delivery guy vague questions--are you getting up early enough? Be sure to give good prompt service early---thats not going to work!

Having said that I can certainly sympathize and empathize I was a long time subscriber and I had a similar problem with not getting my paper at all or getting it very late (noonish). Calls to the paper, emails, and even a snail mail letter did no good.  I even talked to the Delivery Supervisor several times, I still remember his name, Sammy---but still no remedy to the problem.  I called and got credit for missed deliveries didnt phase them

I went from daily delivery to only weekend delivery to send a message, and told them why, and said next time Im canceling---I told them they have tables outside the grocery store trying to get people to subscribe yet they cant give good service to long time subscribers!!!  

One Sunday I was outside my front door water my container plants, and the paper guy says "good morning" and I told him you mean AFTERNOON its 1PM!!!  I told him he could keep the paper it was delivered too late and I was calling the Subscription Dept and asking for a credit.  He looked shocked and I told him to have a nice day and I went inside.  And I called explained the situation and got my credit!

A few more late and missed deliveries and I called to cancel, I was polite about it and he was so rude and sarcastic, and yes gave me the line about an online subscription....I told him we cant use work computers to read the online subscriptions.  And on weekends I like to take a break from computers and screens.........I finally got him to process my cancelation.   I do miss it sometimes but Im not going through all that again. Its not worth the frustration.

BTW around Christmas time enclosed with the paper was a self addressed envelope and a request for a tip---LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@suzyQ3  This suggestion may help in your next phone call. Please don't use the word, "demand." Those people on the other end of the phone have no idea who you (or your parents) are, nor do they care. When you "demand" something, you've just put them on the defense . . . and they aren't willing to work with you. Simply call and ask for their help in resolving an issue. Get his/her name and (ext. number if possible) and use it during the conversation. Be friendly. Thank him/her for any help they are able to provide.

Then, send a thank you note to that individual for their help and kindness on the phone. It works! They won't forget you and will follow-up with the delivery person to make sure your paper is being delivered on a timely basis! Try kindness. These are probably people making minimum wage; they need a little KUDOS!

BTW: I doubt the delivery person is going to retaliate in any way. Most are adults and have probably had background checks. You sound paranoid about this newspaper issue. Just make a friendly phone call - not a "demanding" phone call. Or, read on-line or buy your paper from a local business early each morning (not the best alternative).  

@BirkiLady

Sadly I tried that approach and that didnt work, its like they have this attitude if you want the paper just get it online, and with so many newspapers barely hanging on or going out of business they would do their best to keep what customers they have happy. Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Maybe I shouldn’t share this but both of my sons had paper routes  to earn money in jr high, something I wasn’t too keen on in the first place.  One morning I got a call from the Seattle Times that several customers were irate that their papers hadn’t arrived.  I panicked because I knew that son had left on time to collect his papers for delivery.  I jumped into the car to look for him.  He was curled up on someone’s porch, with his head resting on his bag stuffed with undelivered papers, sound asleep😏

Awww. Poor little guy, @tansy.

That's a great story.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jackthebear, we might cancel down the road, but if we did, we would not give them a reason -- again, the anonymity thing. We just have no idea who or what this person is like.

@suzyQ3  Yes, I get it. There are some crazy folks out there. The world’s not the same as it was when we were kids...Could leave cars unlocked in driveway, house keys under the mat. I have many fears of people knowing too much personal info and using it in an unsavory way.