Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

When we were receiving the Sunday paper we EXPECTED it to be delivered early morning as promised UNLESS there were press problems or weather issues....so yes, I guess we also timed our delivery.

@qualitygal wrote:

Wow!! We never a timed paper, or mail delivery.  We got it when it was delivered.  I'd say you have pretty darn good delivery if you can get it at a set time.  I've never even heard of that before.  We get our news on line.  Haven't received the paper in years now.

@Mom2Dogs  Timing for a morning paper to be delivered in the morning is a Captain Obvious moment.  LOL

It's the HOUR at which one feels the paper should be showing up that would be an issue.  I agree-early morning paper, early morning delivery.

No paper or a paper showing up in the afternoon would be a problem.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

for our local newspaper and the wall street journal we have "standard delivery times" which are 6am during the week and 8am on weekends.

it is not technically considered late if it arrives by 10am during the week and 12 noon on weekends.

if it is late and i contact them before those cut off periods i can get them to redeliver OR ask for a credit.

i do make a point of ALWAYS calling if it is missing, late, or soaked. we were having some problems with a new delivery man, but once he got into his groove he was fine. he even gave us his cell phone number for direct inquiries.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Heya Suz!  Always a pleasure seein' ya.  Smiley Happy

I agree with others that the part that really irks me is how they didn't keep you anonymous, as you requested AND as they said that they did anyway.  What the heck?     That's really messed up.

Obviously, the other biggest sukky thing is this carrier who does not give one whit about doing the job properly and it seems that no matter what will continue not doing the job properly.

I wish I had answers, but I can commiserate and wanted to say 'hey'.

Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Are you in witness protection? With everything on the internet, they can gather any information. The timing of the paper getting to your home seems like an easy solution. Cancel and get it online. I guess I don't understand why you would consider this such a big deal in your life. Enjoy your life and quit creating stress in your life. 

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with them wanting to get the paper and wanting it to be delivered as agreed upon.  Good grief.

Honored Contributor

You want to bash and trash the delivery guy but you didn't want him to know it was YOU.  Is that what you are saying?  If you made a complaint about delivery they were going to tell him what house so, of course, he would know it who complained.  It's a paper.  Paper delivery in my area does not have "a strict delivery time" to adhere to.  Good grief, it's not like those guys have time clock job.  Also a windo of 20 to 40 minutes sounds like excellent service to me.  It's not like you have to wait unti 11 or 12 to get your paper.  What do you think the guy is going to do?  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Wow!! We never a timed paper, or mail delivery.  We got it when it was delivered.  I'd say you have pretty darn good delivery if you can get it at a set time.  I've never even heard of that before.  We get our news on line.  Haven't received the paper in years now.

I don't know where you live, but the Washington Post and Washington Times have deadlines by which the paper must be delivered each morning.  When I've lived in other cities, the same applied.  Mail is something else entirely.

My view is - if you don't want to meet that deadline, get another job.  It's adults in cars who deliver our papers.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  If someone has had reliable service over many decades and it becomes unreliable, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it can change back to reliable upon a customer call to the distribution center. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I don't know where you live, but the Washington Post and Washington Times have deadlines by which the paper must be delivered each morning.  When I've lived in other cities, the same applied.  Mail is something else entirely.

My view is - if you don't want to meet that deadline, get another job.  It's adults in cars who deliver our papers.

(bolded by me)  Yes.   I remember getting a local paper many years ago and there were always times by which they were to be delivered.

One thing that happened to me, back then, that was a deal-breaker was that we had gone out of town on a long weekend.  Well prior to our departure we called the paper and asked for stoppage of delivery from x date to xx date.   That's what you always did back then.

Well, somebody didn't listen and they kept delivering them so there ended up being a few papers collected up on our driveway and somebody decided that, since nobody appeared to be home, they would break in and steal things.    There ended up being a lot of weird things that happened to us after the incident, but I'll spare you.  Smiley Wink    But, had it not seemed so obvious that nobody was home we probably wouldn't have been burglarized, had to fix a window and a wall, and lost a fair amount of money and valuables.

Trusted Contributor

I do understand about being afraid and wanting anonymity. I just realized how that has affected me lately. I have had 2 calls on my voice mail asking for a different person and leaving numbers to confirm deliveries - one sounded like important papers that had to be signed for.

In the old days, I would have called the number back and identified that they had a wrong number so they could try again to get the right person. These days, however, I had to assume it was a scam and that by calling back I would either confirm that the number was mine or some other information I didn't want to share. I still feel guilty that I just deleted the calls instead of returning them.