Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  I'm not sure how your anonymity was shot.  Your delivery person knows where to deliver the paper-therefore knows your address.  Your name is just an internet shot away.

The supervisor told you what you needed to hear.  That does not guarantee the "new" person will be taken to task and given better training or whatever is needed to get your paper to you at the time you desire.

If your paper was not getting delivered or delivered in the afternoon, that would be one thing.  However, I think being a creature of habit can sometimes cause more stress than is needed.  If your paper isn't getting there at the exact time you want, you have choices:

Accept

Cancel the subscription

Beat the delivery person with the late paper.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3

After 50 years of marriage, I now read the paper on line on my iPad.  When we are away, DH actually reads several papers on line.  We can discuss what we read without all the papers strewn about.

The printed word gets gathered up within an hour and put in the recycle bin...what a waste !  If I want to do a crossword, I simply print the puzzle.

If I want to remember an item for file or to show DH like an obit of a client or friend, I simply take a photo of it which I can email to whomever might be interested, store, or print and file.  Very easy.

Putting up with lousy service is a real bummer.  Cancel the delivery and get it on line.  

If you are concerned about a backlash, put up a motion detector for night time and a camera for observing who goes on to your property.

If anything seems amiss with the delivery person, I would notify the police about your concern.  Better safe than sorry.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  Your story will make me think twice about complaining....there are a whole lot of nuts ot there!

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3  Great humor!! And wise suggestions to a world problem. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

When we were receiving the Sunday paper we EXPECTED it to be delivered early morning as promised UNLESS there were press problems or weather issues....so yes, I guess we also timed our delivery.

@qualitygal wrote:

Wow!! We never a timed paper, or mail delivery.  We got it when it was delivered.  I'd say you have pretty darn good delivery if you can get it at a set time.  I've never even heard of that before.  We get our news on line.  Haven't received the paper in years now.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3

I feel for you. We have received the same newspaper for 17 years now. Never really

had a problem until early spring when a new delivery person took over for retired

delivery man. Then the headaches started.

We used to receive morning paper around 3 or 4 a.m. in our box by driveway. Now

with new person we were getting it after 8 a.m. Not good. Our paper years ago

would come in the afternoon until a few years ago, they made it a morning paper,

so everyone could have it to read by breakfast.

My husband would bring it in early so I could read after he went to work. By 8

with this new person, my husband does not get to glance at it before work. I 

called and explained why is it now coming several hours late. Well a new person

took over. I told them if it continues to come late, I don't want it, I can tell my mom

to save hers. Rep. tells me that they will make a note of it. I am not changing just because THEY hired someone new.

Well, it starts to come a little bit earlier maybe 6 now, until a week or two later when

I am skipped. I make another call to complain, now I leave a message on supervisors

voice mail. I tell him to call me. They tell me I can get a day added to my subscription.

Never get a call from him. A few weeks later, my Sunday paper comes around 10 a.m.

I was not happy. I need to look at circulars and coupons before I go grocery shopping early. Make my 3rd call and tell them this is it. If I do not receive it early EVERY DAY,

from tomorrow on I am indeed stopping the paper. I was very upset.

Now, a few months later, everytihing is going well. We get it before 6 a.m. and I am happy about it. Why should customers have to change just before a new hire takes

over.  I understand that it takes time for them to get the hang of it, but I should not

have to keep calling to complain because of their poor service.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3, I get it...we had a situation with a window sales man earlier this summer... I posted here about it....it was a horrible experience with a salesman that cursed at us seemed and seemed a bit unhinged when he got angry or was questioned about the product.   I was even 'told' on these forums by someone that I was not telling the whole story, ha, ha!!   I was.

We never reported him because he was the top salesman in the company and we were also concerned because he knew where we lived. 

I would be angry that they did not keep your request private.

Respected Contributor

Suzy, I hope you know me well enough to know I was laughing with you and not at you, just in case there was any doubt.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago we subscribed to LATimes, until they decided it wasn't worth delivering to our small .CA city!  We read the LA Times, Washington Post and New York Times online ( with our morning coffee).  Less mess, less money, easy peasey!

Regular Contributor

While I do understand getting & wanting your AM paper at an early morning time schedule, I do think you are too paranoid. Complaining is the customer's perogative. Sure it's a dangerous world, but we all need to take chances in this life & speak up. 

Hope all turns out for the best.