Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No one knows how much this thing is going to cost, what the details are and how many will lose coverage,  but they're cheering like it's the Academy Awards.

I find this scary as all hello.  I have worked in health insurance for more than 20 years and I know that there is no way health insurance for all Americans is easy, in fact so easy that a master plan can be put in place in such a short time.

The last time the ACA was put in place was too soon also. There is no way a group of people with no credentials with health insurance can come up with a good plan.... and so, the people who need insurance will suffer again.

People need affordable insurance, not just insurance that covers pre-x conditions.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

We are the greatest country in the world. Yet we are the only civilized nation that doesn't guarantee healthcare for all.It's appalling that we can spend money on wars.We can provide aide to other countries.But we can't come up with a plan or the money to insure our citizens. Shame on us!!

@NicksmomESQ  Bingo.  I get so angry and literally sick to my stomach about the direction we are going.  It makes no sense to me.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No one knows how much this thing is going to cost, what the details are and how many will lose coverage,  but they're cheering like it's the Academy Awards.

@QueenDanceALot sorry to see this ceremony but also the taunting after the vote was taken.  So sad our elected officials on both sides of the aisle are more interested in "wins" than in paying real attention to the actual day-to-day living conditions of their constituents.

Sad.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I find this scary as all hello.  I have worked in health insurance for more than 20 years and I know that there is no way health insurance for all Americans is easy, in fact so easy that a master plan can be put in place in such a short time.

The last time the ACA was put in place was too soon also. There is no way a group of people with no credentials with health insurance can come up with a good plan.... and so, the people who need insurance will suffer again.

People need affordable insurance, not just insurance that covers pre-x conditions.

And there is nothing to say that pre-existing conditions will be covered.

Just some blah blah blah.  And we know how that goes.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot sorry to see this ceremony but also the taunting after the vote was taken.  So sad our elected officials on both sides of the aisle are more interested in "wins" than in paying real attention to the actual day-to-day living conditions of their constituents.

Sad.

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sad.

@momtochloe

It's the proverbial political football, mtc.  It's more than disheartening.  It's criminal.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And there is also an out for employer based insurance to opt out of covering these conditions (would have provided the link to the Wall Street Journal but don't have access to it):

http://www.businessinsider.com/gop-healthcare-bill-ahca-employer-insurance-2017-5

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And there is also an out for employer based insurance to opt out of covering these conditions (would have provided the link to the Wall Street Journal but don't have access to it):

http://www.businessinsider.com/gop-healthcare-bill-ahca-employer-insurance-2017-5

I saw that the new plan allows employers with 50 or more employees not to have to provide health insurance to their employees who work more than 30 hours.

Currently, employers have hired only part time employees to get around this rule anyway. Many people lost their hours at work,  Maybe people will get full time employement now. It's a catch 22 for sure.

Honored Contributor

And, of course, all of those voting won't lose anything.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I saw that the new plan allows employers with 50 or more employees not to have to provide health insurance to their employees who work more than 30 hours.

Currently, employers have hired only part time employees to get around this rule anyway. Many people lost their hours at work,  Maybe people will get full time employement now. It's a catch 22 for sure.

@Carmie I totally get what you are saying but this has been happening for decades.  UPS was one of the first to drop workers from full time to part time or seasonal so they didn't have to pay them any benefits (I have a friend who's father was an executive there and he retired early because he was so upset at their new policies and their impact on the workforce).

I have spoken to so many workers that their hours are kept under a certain level in order to ensure the company didn't have to pay them benefits (think Bed, Bath and Beyond).

I personally don't see this as being a good step forward in resolving the health insurance crisis.  I personally would have started with checking big pharma and their prices, the incredible profits for insurance companies (at the risk of the folks they are insuring?) and also the lawyer lobby.  All of them have added to everyday folks bottom line to the point that many cannot afford even basic coverage.