Trusted Contributor

Re: Advise about downsizing and only having one car.

Run the numbers and see just how much you'd really be saving. If both cars are paid for and in good condition then the cost of the insurance, registration etc probably isn't as much as you'd think. Probably an extra few hundred a year. Is the piece of mind of having your own transport worth a few hundred? To me it would be, I think.

Respected Contributor

One car would never work for us as we both are off doing our own thing most of the time. This weekend he is getting in a round of golf today while I hit the remnants of the farmers markets. And food shop. Tomorrow he is going to the gym while I go to a craft fair. We do a lot together but are not joined at the hip. I can't imagine having my mobility curtailed because I didn't have a car available or if he didn't want to do something.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

The important thing about downsizing to one car - at least in my case - was that DH was made to understand before hand that this was OUR car and not HIS car, that I would have to beg to drive.  I actually wrote a paper to this effect and made him sign it and keep it in my wallet. When he tries getting possesive - i whip out that reminder. 

So far the only negative we have found is that my husband keeps a lot of personal junk in the car whereas I always kept the inside of my car pristine clean. I get so agitated when I pull down the sun visor and he has pens , combs and other parafinalia in there that flys in my face. He is getting much better with that bad habit of stuffing things in the visor. on the other hand I always keep a jacket in the car and I know it irritates him to have my old jacket in the back seat, but I get cold from the AC and need it often. Like everything in marriage - it's a compromise.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hubby and I are in the same situation. He goes to work everyday, my car is in the garage 6 days out of seven now that I am not working.  I like that I can go to the store or make an trip to the dentist or doctor when ever I can having my own car.  My insurance is very low( $600 a year) The car( van) is 16 years old with only 49,000 miles on it.  I like having it as  I can use it to haul garbage or things to good will... It is paid for and runs like new. No reason to get rid of it. Also, if Hubby's car is in the shop, he can use my car... or on snow days my car is best because it is heavy and drives real good in bad weather. 

Honored Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:

Run the numbers and see just how much you'd really be saving. If both cars are paid for and in good condition then the cost of the insurance, registration etc probably isn't as much as you'd think. Probably an extra few hundred a year. Is the piece of mind of having your own transport worth a few hundred? To me it would be, I think.

The other side of the coin thought, is down the road, should something happen to one of you, you only have one car to mess with. I'm not morbid, I just now think this way, it's an age thing consideration. (At least for me).

Respected Contributor

The one really bad thing about only one car is that if you have any car problems (and you live out in the country or far from public transportation) you have to rent one and that usually will eat up any savings you got by selling that extra car. I have never had my car fixed any sooner than 3 days so figure the cost of a rental in too. Safer to keep a "backup" car, even a funky one, in case of emergencies. Car problems usually occur at the very WORST times.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu - we went down to one car a few years ago. I was not happy to say the least as it was my corvette that was going! However it was the more expensive to service, gas and insurance. I don't care for not having a second car, but for now it is cheaper. You just have to make sure to check with each other regarding doctor appointments, etc. it is an adjustment but one you will adjust to.

Respected Contributor

Lot's of people do it without issues.   It might be an adjustment but nothing that can't be done.

Not sure I could 'share' a car, I have everything where I want it and hubby is a clutterbug.   He takes my car all the time but I do have his truck if I want to go somewhere.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are both retired, both older, and both still drive.  DH has places he goes from time to time, as do I.  Different hobbies and interests;  different group activities - these make our lives more intersting.  We have two cars.  Once we tried one car. It was a disaster.  We are both accustomed to having our personal schedules and freedoms and didn't like having to choose. Also DH keeps his car full of "stuff" that he "needs" - tools, canvas pieces to put down when needed, walking canes, whisk brooms, handles to help him out of the car on either side.  And messy floors and dusty dashboards.  My car is immaculate and up to date on all maintenance.  His???

We have no public transportation here, and being a two car family is our best choice.  The cost is secondary to the convenience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being married/living together I can't imagine having only one car...... other than financial or one of the s/o can not longer drive.