Respected Contributor

Advice on a pharmacy co-payment issue

Hope I can make this convoluted story clear!

In Nov., 2014, I called in a refill for needles I need for my insulin pens. You get the pen with the insulin, and have to screw on a needle each time you give a dose.

My husband went to pick this up. He doesn't always listen closely, and this was one issue in the story!

I had plenty of insulin pens, but was out of needles. He comes home with another one box of insulin pens, no needles. They told him they were OUT of the needles. They never called me to tell me that. They can borrow from another CVS in the area.

They never offered that option to him, or arranged for him to be able to get some needles from another store. That would mean (theoretically) I could not administer the insulin. I dug around and found a couple that had fallen out of a box. But, no one at CVS helped me get needles.

They charged him a $50 co-pay for ONE BOX of insulin pens. My co-pay is $100 for 3 months worth. I get 6-7 boxes for 3 months supply.

They call back a few days later to say they have the needles and I pay the $20 co pay for that.

A few weeks later I call a refill for the insulin pens and they give me, again, one box for $50 co-pay.

I call the pharmacy and say that 2 boxes are not my 3 month supply, and that I have paid a $100 co-pay for only 2 boxes, when my 3 month supply is 6-7 boxes.

So, they give me another 5 boxes, but charge me another $50 for them. I call the head pharmacist and go through all this nonsense. She says I can't do anything about it since it started in November. She says that she wishes I had called sooner.

Silly me, I figured that I would get what my $100 co-pay paid for and it would all work out. I did not make a complaint that they left me without needles and no attempt to make sure a diabetic could administer their insulin. That is a big no no.

She tells me she thinks I am right, but she just cannot do anything about it. She apologizes for the needle thing, and says she wished I had called sooner. I said I was trying NOT to make trouble for them.

She says she will ask the general manager, and call me back. She never called me back. My husband picked up the pens I needed and was again charged. I say I paid $150 for what should have been a $100 order.

I am unimpressed with CVS overall. But, it is easier to get meds locally than mail order from Caremark.

Wondering if I can make a case with Caremark, and get credit or refund from what I believe is an overcharge.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on a pharmacy co-payment issue

It seems to me like they owe your are refund. I would definitely call Caremark but write down the events first. Your story is very confusing and it will be even more confusing if you telling it to someone on the phone.

Honored Contributor

There are no CVS pharmacies anywhere close to me. I honestly have no trouble dealing with Caremark itself and manage my meds and supplies online. Maybe it's wrong but I'll admit to reusing needles once or twice -- not to save money but for disposal hassles:/

Respected Contributor

On 3/3/2015 chrystaltree said:

It seems to me like they owe your are refund. I would definitely call Caremark but write down the events first. Your story is very confusing and it will be even more confusing if you telling it to someone on the phone.

I understand it perfectly, but know it SEEMS confusing to anyone else!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 3/3/2015 tansy said:

There are no CVS pharmacies anywhere close to me. I honestly have no trouble dealing with Caremark itself and manage my meds and supplies online. Maybe it's wrong but I'll admit to reusing needles once or twice -- not to save money but for disposal hassles:/

As an RN, I shudder at the idea of re-using needles!!!

I just prefer picking them up locally. Since it can get so hot here in the summer, I don't like the idea of meds sitting in a truck or mailbox while they bake! Especially the insulin pens!

I used to do it through Caremark. They make changes, call your dr. and want to mess with your stuff too!!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/3/2015 tansy said:

As an RN, I shudder at the idea of re-using needles!!!

I just prefer picking them up locally. Since it can get so hot here in the summer, I don't like the idea of meds sitting in a truck or mailbox while they bake! Especially the insulin pens!

I used to do it through Caremark. They make changes, call your dr. and want to mess with your stuff too!!

Hyacinth

I know it's frustrating dealing with Caremark sometimes. I would write down your points before calling. Ask for the supervisor if the CS rep isn't catching on. I think you have a valid complaint.

I do examine the needle carefullySmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oops. I forgot to mention. My insulin is sent by two-day air and the insulin is in a styrofoam cooler with blocks of dry ice. Granted I am in WA state where it's not normally super hot.

Respected Contributor

Any needle that has been touched or used is contaminated. You won't see it.

You could get a localized infection around the needle stick.

Try not to!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I refuse to use CVS or Walgreen's......first of all, they are higher in cost...... And a lot of the time they don't have the medicine in stock.

I use the pharmacy from my grocery store, and can say they do a superb job of supplying me with my meds......

Honored Contributor

You can add Rite-Aid to the Pharmacy Hall of Shame.

I am about half through with a dental implant. When the oral surgeon determined the socket had healed properly after the extraction, he gave me 3 scripts I needed to take at the time of the actual implant. I had them filled on the way home from my appointment.

A few weeks later, a few days before the procedure, I lined up my meds. One was an antibiotic; I was to take a number of pills before the procedure, then continue for a number of days. I opened the medication and found only 6 pills. I called the pharmacy and they said the prescription was for 6 pills. When I questioned why the directions on the bottle indicated I needed far more than 6 pills, they had no explanation. I called the oral surgeon's office and was told the prescription was for 30 pills, and that was what the prescription indicated. They called the pharmacy.

When I picked up the medication I was charged another co-pay. They said it was for a new prescription. They could not refund my original co-pay because I'd taken the 6 pills home. I should have checked when I was in the pharmacy.

I do not know whether it was the oral surgeon or the pharmacy that made the mistake. I know I had to pay 2 co-pays.