Respected Contributor

Re: Advice on a pharmacy co-payment issue

On 3/3/2015 ShowMe said:

I refuse to use CVS or Walgreen's......first of all, they are higher in cost...... And a lot of the time they don't have the medicine in stock.

I use the pharmacy from my grocery store, and can say they do a superb job of supplying me with my meds......

My insurance plan uses CVS.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

On 3/3/2015 lulu2 said:

You can add Rite-Aid to the Pharmacy Hall of Shame.

I am about half through with a dental implant. When the oral surgeon determined the socket had healed properly after the extraction, he gave me 3 scripts I needed to take at the time of the actual implant. I had them filled on the way home from my appointment.

A few weeks later, a few days before the procedure, I lined up my meds. One was an antibiotic; I was to take a number of pills before the procedure, then continue for a number of days. I opened the medication and found only 6 pills. I called the pharmacy and they said the prescription was for 6 pills. When I questioned why the directions on the bottle indicated I needed far more than 6 pills, they had no explanation. I called the oral surgeon's office and was told the prescription was for 30 pills, and that was what the prescription indicated. They called the pharmacy.

When I picked up the medication I was charged another co-pay. They said it was for a new prescription. They could not refund my original co-pay because I'd taken the 6 pills home. I should have checked when I was in the pharmacy.

I do not know whether it was the oral surgeon or the pharmacy that made the mistake. I know I had to pay 2 co-pays.

Good luck with your implant. My husband had one and it failed. But, he was smoking when he was not supposed to.

Yes, similar situation. SOMEONE (not you) makes a mistake and force YOU to pay for it.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

I think I understand your story (but maybe not).

Yes, you are probably due a refund, but I don't think the blame is solely on CVS's shoulders.

In my opinion, the problem started when you didn't address the incorrect order at the outset. When you did nothing about the box of pens that your husband brought home instead of the needles, you allowed the problem to languish. When they called a few days later about the needles, did you tell them about the pens at that time? It doesn't appear that you did. You should have returned them immediately at that time and gotten the co-pay charge removed. Instead, you compounded the problem by waiting weeks and then trying to order more pens.

When you do not immediately address an issue (in your case you said you "didn't want to make trouble for them") the longer it goes on and the worse it gets to untangle. Your wish to "not make trouble for them" has resulted in making trouble for you and unnecessary time and paperwork for them.

If you have the receipt showing that they wrote up only one box of pens for your $100 / three-month (6-7 boxes) co-pay way back in November, maybe that will help.

Most people should know by now that pharmacies are NOT what they used to be and that it is the responsibility of the customer to make sure they know 1) WHAT and HOW MUCH the original prescription is written for, 2) when the script is picked up, that it is complete and correct, and 3) if it's NOT correct, that you immediately contact the pharmacy and straighten it out.

Most of the complaints I hear about pharmacies--including within this thread--is because the customer did not do their part in immediately checking for accuracy.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I get my cats prescription at Walgreens. Every other refill, they don't have enough pills. I find out when I pick up the prescription. They give me a partial order and tell me to come back in a couple days. The copay is $60. Copay for both refills add up to $60.
Honored Contributor

I on the other hand have to use Caremark, and they screw up everything they touch. At one time I wrote a letter to the CEO of the company in an attempt to straighten out a mess they'd made. All I can say is, good luck.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 graycatsrule said: I get my cats prescription at Walgreens. Every other refill, they don't have enough pills. I find out when I pick up the prescription. They give me a partial order and tell me to come back in a couple days. The copay is $60. Copay for both refills add up to $60.
If you have a Costco in your area you might check their price. My vet says they're always the cheapest and calls all my dog's prescriptions in to them. They seem to specialize in animal meds. You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. Walmart is also usually cheaper than Walgreen's.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

This is why I don't send DH to the pharmacy.