Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on a marriage....agree or disagree

151949 wrote:

MyGirlsMom wrote:

151949 wrote:

MyGirlsMom wrote:

Have your own money and if you can, your own bathroom.

We have our own bathrooms but unfortunately, I have to clean them both.

Oh no...you don't have to clean both. Woman Wink

My BR is the master bath - his is the guest bath. If i don't clean it up our guests would be appalled when they have to use it.Since the master bath is closer to the living room I generally tell guests they can use it, and sigh with relief if they do. 

That's exactly our situation, so there would be no way to leave the cleaning of that bathroom to him.  If somebody was in our house and needed to use his bathroom, if I didn't have the cleaning lady keep it clean, I'd be hugely embarrassed!

He's said before 'oh, I'll keep it clean'.  Uh, yeah right.  Smiley Happy   I think we all know how that would go.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We share everything except a last name and some money - LOL - even the bathroom.  My husband is very, very neat.  Thank goodness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's nice to have our own little nest egg.  Depending on the marriage, of course: It's better to have our own money than to have to slightly 'beg' our spouse for this and that.  Avoids all sorts of (minor) arguments.  Of course, if and when there is a very strict budget, then it's always best to discuss finances and spending.  JMO and More or less.  p.s.  I don't mean to 'hide' money.  Just a personal nest egg, not hidden. A nest that is 'out in the open', so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving, @ROMARY.

Trusted Contributor

I disagree.  I believe in joint checking accounts and kind honesty. 

Honored Contributor

I thnk if a woman is a house wife and has no income of her own she would be pretty darn rude to be hiding the money her husband earned and shared with her to make herself a nest egg. A woman who has her own job and income - probably does not put the total amount into the common fund and so can have a nest egg of her own if it makes her happy. 

Honored Contributor

Hiding money is wrong, whether a man or a woman does it.

Hiding a few dollars for yourself is okay, imo.  Thousands or tens of thousands is dicey.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think if a woman is a house wife and has no income of her own she would be pretty darn rude to be hiding the money her husband earned and shared with her to make herself a nest egg. A woman who has her own job and income - probably does not put the total amount into the common fund and so can have a nest egg of her own if it makes her happy. 

Okay, now we will have to disagree.  If a husband and wife mutually agree that either of them stays home while the other works - there is no such thing as his or her money.  What's earned by the one spouse is mutually shared by both.

.Stay at home spouse's DO work.  If he or she wants to save money on the side, so what?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Trusted Contributor

My DH & I have been together 53yrs,51 married.  We don't have separate accounts, beds or cars. His money is mine. All the time he worked he handed me his check(not money from) and I took it to the bank.  When he won some kind of pool at work, he hidey hole it about 2 days, then break and tell me he won. Then gave me the money.  We were young when married, 17&20, both Mothers had to sign consent.  We have never regretted being married, and have always had a loving marriage.  When we have an argument ,we always end with my hugging him and telling him I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY.  I always feel bad when I learn people don't have the kind of LOVE that I have in my marriage.I think all the "separate" just asks for a big SEPARATE!   THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.----------tedEbear

Regular Contributor

My Mother was ahead of her time and a very strong woman still is and she also told me to always have my own money among other things, she was career woman in the 50's plus raise 6 children.  My Dad left all money matters to my mom which was a good thing he was terrible with it they were married for 56 years before he passed.   So I did take that advice when I got married 50 years ago on  Nov. 4 and yes I have my own bathroom and closet lol 

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost