Occasional Contributor

Advice on Hoveround or electric chairs

Can anyone please offer advice on a power chair (or electric chair) similar to the one with the brand name Hoveround? I'm researching this for my 90-yr-old father who has difficulty using a walker due to his bad knees. (He is not strong enough to use a wheelchair by himself.)  I think the electric chair would be better than a scooter since he'd still have to get up and walk away from the scooter. It seems the electric chair could take him around and he could go right up to a table or desk.

Thanks for any info, advice, etc.!

(Since I'm just beginning my research, I don't even know any other product brand names -- Hoveround pops up instantly.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on Hoveround or electric chairs

Ask your father's physician.   There is a possibility Medicare will pay towards the chair with a doctor's order.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

When we looked at scooters for a relative we found out many times an electric chair would be covered but not a scooter. We were told the rationale was that a person 'needs' a chair for everyday / indoor activity where a scooter is more of a 'want' than a 'need'. I shake my head at the reasoning behind some of these decisions and don't know what everyone else's coverage is. GOOD LUCK!

Trusted Contributor

I see that your father is 90. My advice is, is he mentally capable to use one. They can be very dangerous.  We had a renter killed on hers. Got going to fast fell off  hit her head. My aunt same thing, got going to fast, fell of, mess up her knee. Make sure they have 2 wheels in front. That way they are not so tippy.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who uses a 3 wheel scooter in the house and a 4 wheel,  which is more stable,  outside.   She can drive it right up to a table or kitchen counter and swivel the seat so she's sitting just like everyone else.   You can buy a scooter for under $1000.  Wheelchairs are likely to be more expensive. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

@Bamabaskets   there is a company called SpinLife that deals with scooters, wheelchairs, lifts and other equipment.. They have a website and will also send you a catalog in the mail. You can also call them. I have dealt with them before and was pleased with the customer service I received. Hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor

Im in same boat.....trying to decide which is right for me as my walking days are about over. I thought I had decided on a scooter but now glad I waited as I need something with a stable support for my back......so is the electric wheelchair unfortunately. I am not stable enough for a scooter and would easily tip over or fall off without full back coverage to my neck. I have not found a brand yet and am still looking. For outings I have a standard wheelchair as I dont think I can break down a full electric wheelchair as one can with many of the scooters to fit in a car. I cannot afford the car lift which is not covered and expensive. Hope you find what you are looking for! Hugs xxxxx Stormy

Super Contributor

I have a power chair that was paid for by Medicare because of my medical condition.  They do not pay for them if the problem is solely one of aging.

Make sure you do a lot of research as there can be big differences in price and difficulty in handling.

eBay is a good place to look for used chairs.  You can try Craig's list too.

Good luck!