Regular Contributor

Advice needed on becoming a dog foster

Hi there- I'm wondering if any if you have experience in this area ? I have the time and the room in my house and yard- I would only be able to foster "non shedding" types due to allergies. I already know I may "fail" at this as I may fall in love !?! But any advice you can offer before I fill out the info for the shelter will be very valuable to me!
Honored Contributor

Re: Advice needed on becoming a dog foster

If you have pet allergies, I'd forget the idea of fostering. It is not shed fur that causes allergies, it's the dander that all pets shed. Many dogs have "issues" when they arrive from a shelter. They may be unhousebroken, have fears that cause excess barking or even biting or other unfavorable behaviors. I've had dogs that had never been in a house and refused to walk on uncarpeted floors. I had one that was so fearful, he wouldn't come out of a closet. Fostering is not merely loving a pet and assuming it will thrive. Most need a lot of basic training and consume a lot of time. Some pets are easy to fall in love with, some you are happy to see go. I don't know of any shelter or group that would agree to only send a foster non-shedding animals.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

ok well thank you for your thoughts. I am the mom of two shelter dogs. Believe me I am not assuming that I would be handed a walk in the park! my first dog that I adopted was 2 years old-scared of anything-loud noises-cars driving by-brooms anything with a handle like a broom or vacuum.He was beaten-abused- This baby was found on the side of a highway and looked as if he had lived in a dumpster. It took me about 1 year to rehabilitate him.He has gone everywhere with me-to the beach-shopping centers-winters in the snow-etc. He deserves it! and he shows his love to me every day!

My second ""baby"" that I adopted is 5 years old.I got him in august. He is terrified of men--people who have hats on- has never lived indoors or inside a home before. He was used as a stud from an overrun breeder-who treated these animals like property-only to make money from them. He is very slowly making progress every day-you should see him run outside in the backyard now-you can almost see him smiling!y You can see moments of joy on his face-

I know how horrible the circumstances can be for these animals. I was looking for insight from people who foster ---I understand it isnt always a happy experience or happy ending but there are so many great pets out there--""diamonds in the ruff!""

Honored Contributor

It sounds as though you are already well-acquainted with the downside of fostering. I assumed you were a ""first-timer"". I've been involved with collie rescue for over 10 years and have seen some very sad as well as gratifying things. I have a rescue collie and an Aussie as well as a collie I bought as a pup from a very conscientious breeder. The collie rescue was a foster that never left. I got the Aussie from a breed rescue group in Texas. I love them all dearly.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I did cat fostering at one time and failed miserable because I couldn't let them go. It was too heartbreaking....

Respected Contributor

You can offer to foster such dogs as westies or poodles which are known to be less troublesome to those who suffer allergies. You'll know soon enough if you are sensitive to the dog. Try at your local shelter, or look up rescue organizations for the breeds which you think might work for you. There are plenty of dogs of all kinds needing fostering, and they aren't all troublesome either. I encourage you.

What kinds of dogs do you have now?