Trusted Contributor

Re: Advice for kitchen cabinets-what would you do

Holy moly, that's a BIG kitchen. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey  wood mellows as is ages ,and turns a darker hue. I would give it a few years and see what happens, unless you just detest the way they look.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I was advised that my cherry wood cabinets that had a light stain would indeed darken over time. They did, and in the case of cherry wood I liked the slightly darker color better than the original. 

when it comes to kitchen decor, the choices are seemingly endless which may result in your endless confusion. Take your time to evaluate all the options and costs. It appears that you have a large kitchen, so this will be a difficult choice. I wish you good luck and an outcome you love.

Super Contributor

Thanks CAcableGirl---I have little to lose if I try this product on the island, using either black or very dark brown. I can practice on the old cabinet doors that I didn't throw away from the re-do.Lots of kitchens have painted islands and wood cabinets. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a do-it yourselfer. Always save money if I know I can do a better or the same job as a professional. But painting my own kitchen cabinets??? Leave it to a someone that does it for a living!!! I would gladly pay the $5,000 and be delighted with my kitchen than do it myself for a few dollars and have it look like it did it myself. 

"Pure Michigan"