Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice for kitchen cabinets-what would you do

[ Edited ]

I would replace them in a wood color you love. I absolutely hate white cabinets. It’s to easy to show dirt and to me no personality. I prefer wood tones any day. If I could swing it now I would try to redo the kitchen now because prices will just continue to rise. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you talked to the guy who did the job and didn’t do the color you wanted? I would start there and see if he can make changes for less money, whether it’s new doors or starting over. I have always preferred light cabinets....they make the space look bigger, brighter and cleaner. Some of the model homes here are also showing “glazed cabinetry”....another option you could consider if you like it. Maybe it would be a way to alter the yellowish-orange you aren’t happy with.

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 I agree with you CAcable Girl. $5000 to paint cabinets is outrageous. I would get more quotes. Maybe not from a kitchen remodeler but a painting  pro. You can't go wrong with white cabinets. Wood stained cabinets really date a kitchen. but that's just my opinion. 

Respected Contributor

@petepetey  I don't know how old your cabinets are, but the difference in color could be simply age...the old stain having changed colors somewhat over the years. If the stain he used on the new wood was the exact same brand & shade, it could also be different, as colors can change slightly from one lot of stain to the next.

Have you priced having everything (old and new) sanded and restained? If the stained look is important to you that might be an option. Otherwise, I think I'd just paint them.

Honored Contributor

We have been looking for a home for over a year...have seen everything you can imagine...the good, the bad, the ugly. The wood-colored cabinets in kitchens and bathrooms really do look dated now,,,so does wood paneling. We had our picture-frame paneling in our LR painted Navaho White and it looks so much bigger. I don’t know ow where you live, but the trends may be different in other areas.
Honored Contributor

@petepetey , if it were me, I would wait and do the entire kitchen at one time.  I love painted cabinets, and if we had the extra money, I would have mine painted.  

I think it would just be easier on you (if you had already planned to redo the entire kitchen anyway) to do the whole job at once...big mess but it would all be done at one time.  I would just start saving the money now.

After re reading your post you say you have a nice backsplash and granite tops...it that is so and you really like them then just redo the cabinets...I would not want to rip out a backsplash and tops that did not need to come out, but then again I am very thrifty

Super Contributor

Hello 

There are companies who specialize in changing wood cabinets to white with a factory finished painting process 

My girlfriend transformed her wood kitchen cabinets ( I Believe they were cherry )

Using a company called NHance 

You can go to their website and see the technique 

While doing them yourself will save a lot of money often times they chip and peel  don’t hold up very well at all 

I think a white kitchen is timeless and classic .  If you like it I say go for it -  just use a reputable company who offers a durable factory finish 

good luck !

Honored Contributor

@petepetey   Last October we finally had a company called Granite Transformations who gave us the re-do of backsplash & counter top. The countertop is a composite material of granite, marble, flecks of recycled glass that they lay on top of existing so no mess but if I did not tell you this and you came over for me to show it off, you'd never ever know this process. 

LOVE BOTH!!!

We have an old fashioned kitchen area (fridge & range here) with a pantry with 34 kitchen cupboards, sink (which is where the countertop & backsplash is). YEARS ago when we moved into the house (DH's G'Parents home after they left this world). The cupboards were a varnished plywood type wood. We decided to paint them a couple of times. Just a couple of months ago we also finally finished painting the pantry after new installs happened. They're a soft grey, counter color is called platinum cement which is what it resembles with soft striations, tiny sparkles sprinkled in from the recycled class, backsplash darker and lighter greys mosaic design with pieces of a silver mercury glass.

WE LOVE IT ALL!

I'm saying paint your cupboards again that suits your color choosing. Do it yourself if you're able and save your money for other great home diys.

Respected Contributor

If the only issue is not liking the color I would not do anything since it has only been a year that I spent money for new doors and drawers. For me to spend thousands of dollars there must a bigger issue than a color I do not like. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar situation happen to us with the stain for the windows. I had new windows installed in the lower level and had selected a light sand. When they delievered them the color was "off". Well, they say you have a choice but really all you have is a migraine.

I would paint the cabinets white. It's the most budget friendly solution to the current problem. Should you decided to re-do the kitchen on the larger scale then you have spent the least amount of $ for the intereim period. At the very least, I think white cabinets are the most neutral in a siuation. i don't think I would spend the $ to have them re-stained. there are no guarantees  that the second time around would be a success.