Super Contributor

Advice for kitchen cabinets-what would you do

I would love to hear what advice you have for my kitchen cabinets.

About a year ago I had all new doors and drawers put on, solid birch, great quality.

The guy doing the job did not get the match close enough for my taste. They have a yellowish orange quality to them and should have been a fruitwood stain, as the original boxes. I hate them!

So I can either start over, have new doors/drawers made by someone who can match it perfect. ($4000)

I can have them all painted white($5000)

Wait a few years and re-do my entire kitchen with new cabinets, countertops, sink, backsplash. (who knows what that would cost)

I do have a nice backsplash now and granite tops. 

Super Contributor

Re: Advice for kitchen cabinets-what would you do

We just finished building a new house and will move in a couple of weeks. Cabinets have soared in price. Even though I love my new house we are leaving behind a better quality cabinets. I would reccomend painting white and keeping what you have. Fruitwood is beautiful as I have it in the house thats being sold but white remains number one according to my cabinet designer. Either way I would perk up your existing cabinets and keep them. I do think Quartz countertops are worth the investment for longevity and resale value.

Floral Pillow
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of years ago I had many renovations done to my house. I made the decision not to entirely revamp the kitchen because of the cost, but I did want to give it a major facelift. That included new quartzite countertops, stainless appliances, sink, flooring, and fixtures. My old oak cabinets and drawers were in perfect shape, but simply looked outdated. So, I had them painted white, added new cabinet and drawer pulls, and the change is incredible. The white feels so clean and fresh and blends perfectly with all of the other major changes I made. So happy I made the decision to paint perfectly good cabinets instead of replacing them (for a ton of $$) because it honestly looks as if I had entirely new cabinets installed. 

Esteemed Contributor

New drawers and doors are the least expensive option, so I would seriously consider that.

Only paint the cabinets white if that will give your kitchen a look you love. While I prefer the cherry cabinets with butterscotch glaze from the previous kitchen I renovated in another house, white painted cabinets worked best with my kitchen and my budget this time. 

Work around the granite, sink and backsplash you already have.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey  As I read your post, I don't understand how painting your cabinets would cost more than replacement.  

What I would do is go online to Nextdoor.com and ask your neighbors for recommendations of painters who have done a good job painting cabinets.  I would paint them white or any other color of your choice.  I don't know how many cabinets that you have, but there is no way that I would pay $5K to paint them.  At that price, either do the replacement or live with it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

So far I've had 3 painting estimates, 4000, 5000 and 7000.

I have 35 doors and 7 drawers. It's a lot of cabinets. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would get additional quotes on painting the cabinets. I just had mine done a couple of months ago. I paid that for the cabinets AND painting the walls and trim: small to average size kitchen. They did it right: removed the doors and drawers, set up a work area in my unfininshed basement and sprayed them as you might paint a car. A lot of labor involved in doing the paint job to last. It took a full week.

Esteemed Contributor

@petepeteyI thought that you had a lot of cabinets until I just counted mine.  I have 44--what in the world was I thinking!  At the prices that you have been quoted, I think that I would learn to paint the cabinets myself.  Youtube!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey : Oops- just saw your post about additional painting quotes.

More reason to consider saving at least $1000.00 on the replacement fronts if that will give you the look you want.

In my world a grand is $$$$ saved on a project like this: 20%.

The quotes for professional painting are not out of line where I live. I have half the number of doors and 5 drawers. See previous post. Replacement doors and drawers seem like a good option. Refacing my cabinets would have cost me @$10,000.00 as quoted. That's what I paid for solid cherry 12 years ago!

Trusted Contributor

While white is the new trend in cabinets, if it’s the fruitwood you wanted, go for it.  After all, it’s your house and you should get what you originally wanted. Don’t let trends dictate your decision. If you wanted white cabinets in the first place, you would have gotten them.

Sorry i I deleted my previous post, I re read your original post and saw that you actually did get the professional estimate.