Super Contributor

I am getting a conservatorship on my DH (he has Alzheimers).  It has been a tortured road to getting it, but tomorrow is hopefully the day it happens.  My son and my 9 year old granddaughter will take me because it is a little distance.  I would like her to be in court with me.  I think it would be an interesting experience for her to see what a courtroom looks like and what happens.  She is well behaved.  What do you think? 

Super Contributor

First...I am so sorry about your DH. God bless you both in this tough journey. As far as your granddaughter goes......I think it would be very educational and something she will always remember. 

Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on what kind of kid she is. If she is at that sensitive stage, I'm not sure I would put her through it.

You might just talk to her, feel her out about whether or not she understands it at all or has any strong feelings one way or the other about going.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think it is a great idea.....IF........it was anybody but her grandfather........she's just nine......plenty of time for the realization of what happens to people and families................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

First, I am very sorry you are in this position.  I had to do it for my mother and it was difficult.  I can only imagine the pain if it were my husband.

I wouldn't take my young grandchild to that particular proceeding,  Pianomama, especially if her grandfather will be present.  My mother needed to appear. 

Super Contributor

Thank you, emma.  The judge who has always presided over our attempts to get this conservatorship, is a real witch.  She is impatient, rude and short with almost everyone and scares even the lawyers, I think.  I wouldn't think twice about this except for the fact of how she is. I guess she could tell my granddaughter to leave if she doesn't want her there.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor
PM, I'm sorry you and your DH are going through this. Recently, I went with a family friend for her evaluation. In my judgement, it could be difficult for a nine year old girl because it is about her beloved grandfather. I would be concerned she would then worry about him and not understand the illness. I would not take the chance.

But you are the one that knows her, perhaps she can handle it. Whatever your decision, I wish your family the best.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

My granddaughter is at our house all the time, and she is well aware of what is going on with her grandpa. She is a smart cookie for her age.  I have asked her if she would like to go, and she is interested. It should not take a long time -once I am called, things should be resolved.  Her grandpa won't be there-he is not well enough to go.

Honored Contributor

I'm curious, you don't need to answer, but did the judge interview your husband at some point?  With all of the medical documentation, I still had to present my mother to the court for the hearing.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

If the judge is so nasty and rude, I don't know that I'd want my granddaughter there for that reason.  It may upset her to see the judge be nasty and rude to you.