Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice Finding a Swiffer

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sunala 

What state are you in?  Asking because I live in N.J.  My cleaning crew came last week for the first time in months.

They wore masks & practiced social distancing regarding "me."  While cleaning one room, I stayed in another.  I wore gloves as I laid their pay on the "clean" Smiley Very Happy table for them to pick up at a safe distance.

hi @Mz iMac - in theory that sounds perfect, but in reality we are being extremely cautious. Our children and granddaughter had covid in March/April and were hospitalized for a few weeks.They were really sick.  I am going to the doctor on Friday to have some bloodwork done. I'd rather go to his office than the lab, as I know nobody else will be there. 

I love my cleaning lady. She has been working for me for 20 years and it hurts me not to have her come, but she totally understands. 

If I were not as cautious as I am, I'd probably do just what you did, but I just don't feel comfortable. We have someone who grocery shops for us, and we either cook or use Doordash and Grubhub to deliver dinner. 

I'm really happy this is working out for you! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@sunala 

What state are you in?  Asking because I live in N.J.  My cleaning crew came last week for the first time in months.

They wore masks & practiced social distancing regarding "me."  While cleaning one room, I stayed in another.  I wore gloves as I laid their pay on the "clean" Smiley Very Happy table for them to pick up at a safe distance.

@Mz iMac  - I forgot to answer your question. We live in NY, on Long Island. Thankfully the numbers have gone down, BUT Governor Cuomo is being extremely cautious. 

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@loveschocolate wrote:

@sunala , I like this starter kit

C49AB998-FA01-4337-A556-4CFA9DC5D2F1.png

@loveschocolate  - thanks for the suggestion. Being I need one for bathrooms and one for kitchen, do I have to buy two separate kits, or can I just change the bottom part? I'm such a dope when it comes to these contraptions! 

@sunala , you just change the pads that you stick on the bottom of the swiffer. 

Respected Contributor

I have the ones that "loveschocolate" posted a picture of.  I buy the wet ones and use in the bathrooms.  I have hardwood flooring in my kitchen and I use Boma there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Take a look on amazon,the rubbermaid spray mop.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I use the Swiffer pictured, not the wet jet one. Occasionally, I'll pull out my floor steamer to do the kitchen and bathroom floors.

Esteemed Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@loveschocolate wrote:

@sunala , I like this starter kit

C49AB998-FA01-4337-A556-4CFA9DC5D2F1.png

@loveschocolate  - thanks for the suggestion. Being I need one for bathrooms and one for kitchen, do I have to buy two separate kits, or can I just change the bottom part? I'm such a dope when it comes to these contraptions! 

@sunala , you just change the pads that you stick on the bottom of the swiffer. 

@loveschocolate - thank you, I bought one and we'll see how it goes. If I like it, I can either buy another one or buy more pads. Thank you everyone for your ideas. You'd think by this age, I'd know my mops!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buy the Swiffer starter set. There two types of pads: one for dusting and one for a wet mope. You just switch them out. Swiffer also makes dusters.

I'm in the same boat as you, @sunala, Our cleaning woman did use the Swiffer pads. I still use the dusting ones occasionaly but have switched to a permanent version where you wash the pads.

We stopped having our beloved cleaning person back in March but paid her until very recently. She was very understanding and thanked us for helping her and her family for as long as we did.

We anticipate that it will be a long time before we want someone in our house that also works many other homes. I miss her work for us but also because I'm very fond of her. She has been with us for 15 years and worked for the previous owners.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sunala   We got the Swifter Wet Jet when we lost our cleaning crew.  It's pretty easy to use.  The basic kit you can get through Amazon.  They also sell the cleaning solution that the wet jet sprays.  And the pads.  You can get the pads and cleaning solution at any supermarket.  The wet jet is pretty good, but for really grimy floors, getting you knees and scrubbing will get the stuff off.  We use the wet jet for our kitchen and bathroom floors. 

Esteemed Contributor

If your home is smaller and you need to clean up pet fur, etc., I really like the Swiffer dry cloths. You can also use the Swiffer wet cloths on the same base (no need to buy a separate one). I know some ladies like the microfiber cloths (and they work fine), but I prefer to just use the Swiffer disposable cloths and not mess with having to wash them. For a quick clean up, I think the Swiffer products work great. I'm always amazed at all the fur that ends up on the cloths!