Esteemed Contributor

Advance planning for cruise. Need travel advice for flying in and out of S. Florida

Not sure where else to post this. I am basically looking for those who have airline experience. Our cruise is scheduled for next year out of Miami. We are more used to going in and out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our daughter wants us to visit and is willing to pick us up so we decided to go to her first, around Thanksgiving, stay with her for a week or less and she will take us to the docks which this time around is Miami. (last time and each and every time it was Ft. Lauderdale which is close to her.

My questions.

1. Can I fly in one airport and out the other? My favorite airline does not fly into Miami.

2. Are shuttles available from one area to another. I know nothing about Florida.

3. I just want to make plans or cancel them if the whole thing becomes difficult.

I book my own airline usually Southwest, my favorite out of Baltimore Md. But SW does not fly into Miami, only Ft. Lauderdale. I want to not be a burden to my daughter and her family.

Is shuttle service expensive for two. That might solve it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Advance planning for cruise. Need travel advice for flying in and out of S. Florida

You can definitely fly into one airport and out another but it might be more expensive. There is a shuttle service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Here's a link. Contact them and they can get you prices.

http://fortlauderdaleairportshuttle.com/

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

Re: Advance planning for cruise. Need travel advice for flying in and out of S. Florida

Not sure where your flying from but most times you can book one-way flights (which I always do as usually cheaper and I can take cheapest fares on different airlines). I have not used any shuttles although I am going out of Ft. Lauderdale on my next cruise & haven't looked into transportation from Tampa as yet.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much. I am so new to this. My daughter is in Ft Lauderdale and flying in and out has been a breeze. All of a sudden the opportunity... the cruise goes out of Miami. My airline (my favorite) only goes in and out of Ft. Lauderdale. Hoping to just fly in there and shuttle to the port of Miami in both directions. I know by the time I finish the transportation will cost me more than the cruise. (only kidding, or not) LOL

Respected Contributor

My brother just had this exact problem, we are from closer to the DC area. Same thing - no nonstop to Miami but was in FTL. They found hotels in FTL that, for a small added cost would shuttle you to either port (FTL or Miami). They just did this two weeks ago. They said there were a few hotels that would do that.

Miami is not THAT far from FTL. If you don't want to bother her, stay with your daughter for a few days and the night before your cruise, have her drop you off at one of those FTL hotels to spend the night. Next morning board the shuttle and you are off. But there again, there's the cost of a hotel room for the night but it fits the bill. OR, call car services and see if you can get someone to give you a straight cost (not metered) for pickup and the trip to the port.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to fly out of Baltimore, visit my daughter in Ft Lauderdale and have my son in law drop me off in a hotel in Miami that will shuttle me to the docks (cruise) in Miami. Then on the way back a shuttle will take me to Ft. Lauderdale but it will cost, not free.

What a mess. I will not fly out of Dulles, I will not fly out of Reagan and I love Southwest. American where I have points goes nowhere. Baltimore to Chicago to get to Ft Lauderdale, GIVE ME A BREAK! WALKING SEEMS LIKE MORE FUN (ONLY KIDDING)

I did manage to call the suggested shuttle and they told me they would get me to the airport in Ft Lauderdale from the Miami port and it would be about $30 for two. I will believe that one when I see it. But atleast I can feel comfy thinking it is possible.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/25/2014 adelle38 said:

You can definitely fly into one airport and out another but it might be more expensive. There is a shuttle service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Here's a link. Contact them and they can get you prices.

http://fortlauderdaleairportshuttle.com/

Yes, I called them. Talked to Michael. What a nice guy. He made me feel comfortable and that my problem was not a problem at all. Thanks so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Though I cannot answer your questions, I can offer one piece of valuable information based on my mother's experience.

My mother flew to Florida from CA and one of her sister's from Michigan to Florida for a cruise which departed from Florida. My mother's luggage in transit somewhere from the airport to the cruise ship was broken into and ALL of her medications stolen. As a result, she suffered from pulmonary edema and her heart had to work so hard that she was very restricted in the activites in which she could participate. She came home extremely ill and had to be hospitalized.

There's more to the story, but please, take your medication with you in your handbag!