Honored Contributor

I was just reading over some of the replies to this interesting post.  I have to say that I don't think it's appropriate for teachers to wear jeans to teach in.  Not very professional, IMHO.

Valued Contributor

Re: Adult dress codes

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

If you are reasonably intelligent and have some common sense, you know you should dress modestly when working in a professional environment. Since some people don't seem to have common sense, dress codes are written and implemented.   Where I worked, I am sad to say women were the worst offenders.  The code was no cleavage, no "at leisure" or athletic warm-up type clothing, no leggings, no mini skirts,  and NOT wearing underwear is NOT an option.  (Especially if you are wearing rayon/spandex garments in white, tops or bottoms)  Yep, that happened.  Take some pride in the way you look.  You can dress professionally and still be casually chic and comfortable.  No need for conservative pant suits or skirts and blazers, just a little common sense and red lipstick goes a long way.  JMO.

well thats the problem with some people -they are taking pride in how they look

they think they are "rocking it" even though sadly they are clueless

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I was just reading over some of the replies to this interesting post.  I have to say that I don't think it's appropriate for teachers to wear jeans to teach in.  Not very professional, IMHO.

I wear them all of the time at work.  My usual outfit is something like:

Image result for business jeans outfit

Image result for teacher jeans outfit

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32. Sorry, guess I'm just "old school". (or just plain old!), but that just doesn't look like appropriate attire for a teacher, IMHO.  But again, I'm old!Smiley Indifferent

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Mellie32. Sorry, guess I'm just "old school". (or just plain old!), but that just doesn't look like appropriate attire for a teacher, IMHO.  But again, I'm old!Smiley Indifferent

It's pretty normal for teachers nowadays.  

What about this?

Respected Contributor

Or this

Respected Contributor

I think those outfits are very appropriate for a teacher 

IMO if a teacher dresses fashionably and modern, she relates better to her students.   

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32. I'm thinking about it.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

This is an odd question.  Yes, of course, there should be dress codes in certain professions and work settings.  Do you want a surgeon who shows up in the operating room or his office in cutoffs, a tank top and flip flops?  Would you have confidence in an attorney who is dressed in jeans and polo and dirty sneakers?  Sometimes there are safety or image reasons for dress codes.  Sometimes, employers implement dress codes because they want to avoid the possibility of inappropriate attire.  Since all offices are different, there is no way anyone can say what dress code should be in ALL offices EVERYWHER, at all TIMES.  Many office have strict dress codes in the winter but the summer dress codes are less strict.  My company has multiple campuses.  People at the main campus must wear traditional business attire but those who work on the off site locations can wear business casual attire.  

Super Contributor

@Mellie32 I see nothing wrong with the outfits you posted. Teachers do a lot more than sit at a desk (actually I would guess that sitting at a desk is something they rarely get to do).

They are also responsible for playground duty, bus duty, lunch duty.....they are on the floor with the little ones, they are rushing to the rescue outside. There are scuffles in the dirt to break up, sick kids to clean up after, and the list goes on. I would certainly never want someone to expect me to be mopping up an unfortunate "accident" decked out in a formal suit.

Cleavage baring, unable to bend over without exposing....those things should be on the "no" list in my opinion.

Something else too.....for years we were not allowed to wear open toed shoes either, and it had to do with our work comp exposure audit. It was found to be unsafe by our risk management team. They recently (couple of years ago) scaled that back a bit and thank goodness we can wear sandals now. But I do understand that sometimes the rules are made because of potential risks/financial exposure.

Never mistake kindness for weakness