Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

Nothing wrong with jeans - students or teachers.

And I disagree.  I don't think teachers should be wearing jeans.  I personally think that is far too casual.  

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

And I disagree.  I don't think teachers should be wearing jeans.  I personally think that is far too casual.  

A long-standing argument in my school district.  Smiley Happy

My older coworkers told me that a principal one time told them they couldn't wear any sort of pants that had some sort of seam going down the side (they called it something - I'd never heard of it and I can't remember what it was).  I was like -- what?  LOL!  I say as long as you don't look like you're off to a club or about to mow your lawn you're good.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Do you think they are necessary?  Do you think they're oppressive?  Do you believe only certain professions should have dress codes?  What do you think should be the dress code for an office?  School?  

@Mellie32

Necessary?     YES

Oppressive?    NO

Certain professions only?    NO

Office?  Depends on the office/business.  I've only worked in offices where dress was conservative "business attire" until about 2005 ... then business casual days.  Office in construction site or factory ... dress appropriately.

School?  (Since your topic was "adult" dress codes, I'll assume you are talking about teachers, office staff, etc. )   YES

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

My older coworkers told me that a principal one time told them they couldn't wear any sort of pants that had some sort of seam going down the side (they called it something - I'd never heard of it and I can't remember what it was).  I was like -- what?  LOL!  I say as long as you don't look like you're off to a club or about to mow your lawn you're good.

Thats where the problem is with jeans, there is such a wide range of uses.  I am sure you can go into a club and find someone who looks like they should be mowing the lawn or someone all dressed up actually mowing a lawn.  While I agree some looks with jeans would be appropiate, you will always have those who think every look is or is not appropiate

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

No matter what the dress code is, some folks will be determined to flaunt it because they believe their "rights" are being abridged.

Recently there was a woman on FB castigating her daughter's school for requiring shorts to be fingertip length.  Well she said her daughter had long arms and she simply could not find any shorts that long.  And, of course, her daughter could not wear longer pants (too hot) and she didn't "like" to wear skirts etc. etc.  When challenged by commenters that bermuda shorts were everywhere, she responded that her daugher didn't "like" those either and thus, she was entitled to wear short shorts.  I guess she told them.

I'm sure her daughter will be charming when she eventually gets a job.

Respected Contributor

I heard someone say one time that you just can't find shorts that aren't super short.  I was like....

Image result for c'mon face

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Did they call them a welt seam? 

I went to a catholic high school and we didn't have uniforms but we had a dress code.  We had to wear pants, no dresses or skirts allowed.  The pants had to be dress pants. No welt seams, no patch pockets, like the back pockets on jeans, no porkchop pockets, no cargo pockets, no print on the pants and no pants with a stripe wider than a pinstripe.  No tank tops, even under a sweater, no sweatshirt material tops.  It went on and on.

I was sent to the office a lot and got a lot of detentions for breaking the dress code  rules.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Did they call them a welt seam? 

I went to a catholic high school and we didn't have uniforms but we had a dress code.  We had to wear pants, no dresses or skirts allowed.  The pants had to be dress pants. No welt seams, no patch pockets, like the back pockets on jeans, no porkchop pockets, no cargo pockets, no print on the pants and no pants with a stripe wider than a pinstripe.  No tank tops, even under a sweater, no sweatshirt material tops.  It went on and on.

I was sent to the office a lot and got a lot of detentions for breaking the dress code  rules.

I just asked one of my coworkers about it.  She said "felled seam".  Never even heard that term in my life.

Valued Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I guess for me you would hope common sense would prevail but unfortunately in some cases it does not.  I remember when "Casual Friday' was introduced . . . I was stunned at what some people came to work in even though the guidelines had been spelled out rather clearly in the memo.  Fast forward to a relative of mine that went to work in a bank and I got a look at their employee handbook . . . one of the "no-no's" was "do not wear a black bra under a white shirt" . . . I though I would never stop laughing but truly how sad is that that you have to tell someone that and it was clearly argued before being added to the list . . . smh.

A perfect example of why dress there are codes

Respected Contributor

If you are reasonably intelligent and have some common sense, you know you should dress modestly when working in a professional environment. Since some people don't seem to have common sense, dress codes are written and implemented.   Where I worked, I am sad to say women were the worst offenders.  The code was no cleavage, no "at leisure" or athletic warm-up type clothing, no leggings, no mini skirts,  and NOT wearing underwear is NOT an option.  (Especially if you are wearing rayon/spandex garments in white, tops or bottoms)  Yep, that happened.  Take some pride in the way you look.  You can dress professionally and still be casually chic and comfortable.  No need for conservative pant suits or skirts and blazers, just a little common sense and red lipstick goes a long way.  JMO.