Honored Contributor

Adult dress codes depend entirely upon the company or setting. Teachers, especially newer ones, don't always use good judgement and dress like their students.....never a good idea. The " business casual" or "casual Friday" trend has made workplace dress codes necessary in many places. My husband hated that...he would have some staff roll in on Fridays in frayed jeans and flipflops.....when they had lunch appt with clients...so he got rid of the casual Friday....it's a slippery slope.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Those are.................interesting.  

Those were necessary in the 1980's Chicago winters. Somedays would start out -20 degrees below 0.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@software wrote:

I supposed some code is necessary but where I work it's ridiculous.   And the hags here get great joy in turning in offenders to HR.    7 more months until retirement!!!

@Mellie32 wrote:

Do you think they are necessary?  Do you think they're oppressive?  Do you believe only certain professions should have dress codes?  What do you think should be the dress code for an office?  School?  

I worked in a school in suburban Chicago (think long, very bitterly cold winters) and female teachers were NOT permitted to wear trousers-skirts and dresses only.

We got around that by wearing long, midi skirt w/knee sockes, pettipants and high boots. Done right, everyone was kept happy.

Yes, we had the same hags who would love to get brownie points w/the school admin by ratting out other teachers.

There's a special karma for folks like that. I'm a firm believer in karmic justice in this world or the next.

Pettipants?

@Mellie32

Yes!   I was a big fan of pettipants in winter when I lived right on the edge of Lake Erie.  Talk about cold winds!  

Picture a half slip ... then picture that same material made into a culotte style slip.   See below.   Really made a big difference when the temperatures were in the single digits!

I'm sure they must still sell them somewhere .....  but not here in Southern California!  LOL

Related image

Related image

GET OUT @Tinkrbl44 I bought those when higher slits in skirts first became popular and slips hadn't caught up (I had the one on the far right and that lace was there so you could customize the length to what was required). . . wow, talk about a blast from the past . . . tee hee!  

Very big in the early-mid 60s - even in SoCal. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

Those are.................interesting.  

Those were necessary in the 1980's Chicago winters. Somedays would start out -20 degrees below 0.

They don't look like they would keep you warm at all.  They're made of very silky material, right?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wore those pettipant things back in the 60s because wearing a slip was considered ladylike😏

It was a big deal if the sun outlined your legs in a dress.  

I may may even have a pair of those things in the back of my lingerie drawer😂

Honored Contributor

I think people who work closely with the public, like doctors, nurses, teachers should dress professionally. I remember when nurses were required to wear white dress uniforms, white stockings and shoes and their school cap. Things have eased up quite a bit since then and that's ok by me as long as they are neat and clean. I was once hospitalized and my room mate was confused, a nurse with dread locks , a nose piercing and very long white fingernails approached her to care for her and the woman started screaming and crying. The doctor who was assigned to the woman came to see her in jeans, a flannel shirt and cowboy boots. Even though he had a long white coat on, she did not believe he was a doctor and would not cooperate with him. 

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I think people who work closely with the public, like doctors, nurses, teachers should dress professionally. I remember when nurses were required to wear white dress uniforms, white stockings and shoes and their school cap. Things have eased up quite a bit since then and that's ok by me as long as they are neat and clean. I was once hospitalized and my room mate was confused, a nurse with dread locks , a nose piercing and very long white fingernails approached her to care for her and the woman started screaming and crying. The doctor who was assigned to the woman came to see her in jeans, a flannel shirt and cowboy boots. Even though he had a long white coat on, she did not believe he was a doctor and would not cooperate with him. 

That's pretty stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

That's pretty stupid.

Ouch @Mellie32 c'mon . . .  to be honest, I personally think what you choose to wear in your classroom is more than fine but can't you cut some folks that may be a tad older some slack and not call them stupid as maybe they haven't rounded the curve in terms of what is acceptable in a doctor's office these days?

Respected Contributor

Re: Adult dress codes

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

That's pretty stupid.

Ouch @Mellie32 c'mon . . .  to be honest, I personally think what you choose to wear in your classroom is more than fine but can't you cut some folks that may be a tad older some slack and not call them stupid as maybe they haven't rounded the curve in terms of what is acceptable in a doctor's office these days?

Believing that someone isn't really a doctor because of what he chose to wear under his medical coat is stupid.  Believing that what he was wearing was inappropriate for his occupation - fine.  Believing he wasn't even a real doctor - stupid.  That's my honest opinion.  

Honored Contributor

"Proper" and " appropriate" are very subjective terms...

The last jury summons I received had a dress code on the back of it....no tube tops, shorts, flip-flops, and men must wear shirts with sleeves. Are you kidding me? People don't know that?🙄