Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm in favor of dress codes in the workplace.  However, I'm also in favor of dress codes or uniforms for students also.  Nothing wrong with looking neat and tidy!Woman Wink

When growing up, my grandma used to say "you act how you're dressed."

Looking back, I understand exactly what she meant.

Hyacinth

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have to laugh every time I see the term "dress properly." Dressing appropriately for a situation/position/business doesn't have to do with what is "proper" - which for me conjures up images of prune-lipped busybodies with nothing better to do. "Proper" is entirely in the eyes of the beholder and has a moral connotation. Appropriate is appropriate - whether a given individual finds it "proper" or not.

Appropriate is in the eye of the beholder as well.  They're synonyms.  

I had a principal who thought teachers shouldn't wear sandals because they were inappropriate.  I (and many other teachers) disagreed.  

They can be synonyms - but the word "proper" frequently has a "morally decent" connotation that IMO "appropriate" doesn't always. And some people will always mean that judgment when they use the word proper. Those are the folks to whom I'm referring.

My comment was in no way meant as a reflection on your OP regarding dress codes.

They certainly can be carried to extremes, or skewed to certain standards. They can be particularly annoying when allowed to vary from supv to supv and aren't universal, and when they're rigidly enforced only as to the written word and not with practical common sense.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

As a nurse, I love needing a uniform for work.  You didn't have to use your other clothes, and you could keep them nice.  I held an administrative job for a time and would have loved to keep up with the uniform!

Sometimes today, I feel some nurses are taking scrubs too far and sloppy.  You can still look very professional and put together in scrubs.  They are not loungewear!  OB and surgery is nice because they provide the scrubs.  You don't have to go back and forth in contaminated clothes.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,  What is your opinion on your topic?

Read up.

Honored Contributor

I have no problem with a dress code and I think they are absolutely necessary.  Especially given this day and age where people seem to think anything goes.

It's unfortunate that people don't know how to dress appropriately but when you have people showing up to work wearing a bathing suit as part of their outfit, it's obviously necessary.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

Nothing wrong with jeans - students or teachers.

Trusted Contributor

I believe it should not be necessary to have adult dress codes but unfortunately it has become that way!

There is a casual way of dressing and also there is a sloppy way of dressing and I don't believe it has anything to do with what we can afford!

Some people just don't know the difference!

Honored Contributor

It shouldn't be necessary but it most definitely is necessary in the workplace.

When you've had to deal with "bra optional Fridays" you will understand the need.

As for restaurants and public gathering places, the owners get to make the rules and if they don't want men in tanks or undershirts or cut offs, that's their choice.   But I am sure they know they are alienating a segment of the buying public by doing that.  If they can afford to choose their customers, all the more power to them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN