Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Where is this going on at? Then, I can guess.

Where is what going on at?  Dress codes are everywhere.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I supposed some code is necessary but where I work it's ridiculous.   And the hags here get great joy in turning in offenders to HR.    7 more months until retirement!!!

@Mellie32 wrote:

Do you think they are necessary?  Do you think they're oppressive?  Do you believe only certain professions should have dress codes?  What do you think should be the dress code for an office?  School?  

We have someone like that at our school.  

Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@software wrote:

I supposed some code is necessary but where I work it's ridiculous.   And the hags here get great joy in turning in offenders to HR.    7 more months until retirement!!!

@Mellie32 wrote:

Do you think they are necessary?  Do you think they're oppressive?  Do you believe only certain professions should have dress codes?  What do you think should be the dress code for an office?  School?  

I worked in a school in suburban Chicago (think long, very bitterly cold winters) and female teachers were NOT permitted to wear trousers-skirts and dresses only.

We got around that by wearing long, midi skirt w/knee sockes, pettipants and high boots. Done right, everyone was kept happy.

Yes, we had the same hags who would love to get brownie points w/the school admin by ratting out other teachers.

There's a special karma for folks like that. I'm a firm believer in karmic justice in this world or the next.

Pettipants?

Honored Contributor

While I do think employers have the right to have dress standards, I personally don't think it should matter (except for safety and hygenic reasons) how someone chooses to dress.  Safety includes not wearing overyly skimpy clothing, unsafe shoes, too long dresses or skirts that can get stepped on and caught as well as scarves that can get caught everywhere.  Hygenic includes cleanliness, not wrinkled , clothes with stains, etc.  For me it's a matter of how well that person does their job.  Where I worked there were some who dressed very conservatively but didn't do the job they were hired for and didn't treat the public who we did business with very well and those who didn't exactly dress in what some would say professional clothing always stepped up and picked up the slack.   I tend to trust those (including doctors) who are more casually dressed as they are much easier to relate to by the average person and I have found that they are for the most part more helpful and relateable.  

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have to laugh every time I see the term "dress properly." Dressing appropriately for a situation/position/business doesn't have to do with what is "proper" - which for me conjures up images of prune-lipped busybodies with nothing better to do. "Proper" is entirely in the eyes of the beholder and has a moral connotation. Appropriate is appropriate - whether a given individual finds it "proper" or not.

Appropriate is in the eye of the beholder as well.  They're synonyms.  

I had a principal who thought teachers shouldn't wear sandals because they were inappropriate.  I (and many other teachers) disagreed.  

Honored Contributor

I think dress codes are great for many reasons. In the end, if I own the company and I say I want a certain look, then it's my right to enforce it. You also have the right to choose to NOT work for me if you don't like the dress code.

Respected Contributor

I think dress codes are needed in every workplace because some people just have no sense.  It's not oppressive since you choose to work there and can choose to not work there anytime you want.  However, I do think that some people's ideas of appropriate dress are outdated (like the sandal thing).  No, I don't want to have to wear skirts, dresses and pantyhose to teach.  I want to wear open-toed shoes, as much jewelry as I want and wear my hair like I want it.  I also love wearing jeans.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

While I do think employers have the right to have dress standards, I personally don't think it should matter (except for safety and hygenic reasons) how someone chooses to dress.  Safety includes not wearing overyly skimpy clothing, unsafe shoes, too long dresses or skirts that can get stepped on and caught as well as scarves that can get caught everywhere.  Hygenic includes cleanliness, not wrinkled , clothes with stains, etc.  For me it's a matter of how well that person does their job.  Where I worked there were some who dressed very conservatively but didn't do the job they were hired for and didn't treat the public who we did business with very well and those who didn't exactly dress in what some would say professional clothing always stepped up and picked up the slack.   I tend to trust those (including doctors) who are more casually dressed as they are much easier to relate to by the average person and I have found that they are for the most part more helpful and relateable.  

@Pook  In the case of teachers, especially in secondary schools, they should be setting an example or student in how to dress and conduct themselves in a workplace. 

The same was true in the case of employees in my office.  They were setting an example for the public in how to dress for interviews and on the job.  Bo-Peep attire just isn't going to cut it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mellie32,  What is your opinion on your topic?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@software wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

I worked in a school in suburban Chicago (think long, very bitterly cold winters) and female teachers were NOT permitted to wear trousers-skirts and dresses only.

We got around that by wearing long, midi skirt w/knee sockes, pettipants and high boots. Done right, everyone was kept happy.

Yes, we had the same hags who would love to get brownie points w/the school admin by ratting out other teachers.

There's a special karma for folks like that. I'm a firm believer in karmic justice in this world or the next.

This is blatantly sexist and, therefore, discriminatory.  A 1950's mentality.