Honored Contributor

Just like everything else, rules have to put in place for everything else...putting on clothes included.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I supposed some code is necessary but where I work it's ridiculous.   And the hags here get great joy in turning in offenders to HR.    7 more months until retirement!!!

@Mellie32 wrote:

Do you think they are necessary?  Do you think they're oppressive?  Do you believe only certain professions should have dress codes?  What do you think should be the dress code for an office?  School?  

I worked in a school in suburban Chicago (think long, very bitterly cold winters) and female teachers were NOT permitted to wear trousers-skirts and dresses only.

We got around that by wearing long, midi skirt w/knee sockes, pettipants and high boots. Done right, everyone was kept happy.

Yes, we had the same hags who would love to get brownie points w/the school admin by ratting out other teachers.

There's a special karma for folks like that. I'm a firm believer in karmic justice in this world or the next.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Just like everything else, rules have to put in place for everything else...putting on clothes included.

That's the word I was needing.  Rules for dress.  

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm in favor of dress codes in the workplace.  However, I'm also in favor of dress codes or uniforms for students also.  Nothing wrong with looking neat and tidy!:womanwink:

To me it's about much more than just "looking neat and tidy."  It's about self-respect (in too many instances), respect for others, respect for authority, respect for general decorum, learning how to follow rules.... I could go on. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen some people out in public and all I can think is that they must not own a full length mirror .... or, if they do, ever use it!   If they HAD, they never would have left the house looking like that.  I hope.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have to laugh every time I see the term "dress properly." Dressing appropriately for a situation/position/business doesn't have to do with what is "proper" - which for me conjures up images of prune-lipped busybodies with nothing better to do. "Proper" is entirely in the eyes of the beholder and has a moral connotation. Appropriate is appropriate - whether a given individual finds it "proper" or not.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I have a family member who teaches high school.  She wears low cut tops and tight pants and flip flops.   She is well endowed.

She complains that the girls in her class have "no modesty."

SMH

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've seen some people out in public and all I can think is that they must not own a full length mirror .... or, if they do, ever use it!   If they HAD, they never would have left the house looking like that.  I hope.

It all makes for good people watching👀

Honored Contributor

Re: Adult dress codes

[ Edited ]

Adult dress codes?  I dunno. Maybe something along the lines of business casual?  Or are we talking more about professions that demand uniforms?

The employer has the right, I think, within reason and in a non-discriminatory way, to have dress rules.

But I think that it's best left short and somewhat vague. I can't imagine a long list of no-no's. And if an employee's apparel is proved to be causing problems in some way, then that person should be counseled privately.

I can say that after reading posts on these boards for many, many years, I could see a list of do's and don'ts a mile long. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I guess for me you would hope common sense would prevail but unfortunately in some cases it does not.  I remember when "Casual Friday' was introduced . . . I was stunned at what some people came to work in even though the guidelines had been spelled out rather clearly in the memo.  Fast forward to a relative of mine that went to work in a bank and I got a look at their employee handbook . . . one of the "no-no's" was "do not wear a black bra under a white shirt" . . . I though I would never stop laughing but truly how sad is that that you have to tell someone that and it was clearly argued before being added to the list . . . smh.