Super Contributor

Adult coloring ?...can you use markers or just colored pencils? Looking to buy as a gift

[ Edited ]

I think they are into tattoo art coloring but I'm unsure what is used to color the pages. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Adult coloring ?...can you use markers or just colored pencils? Looking to buy as a gift

I've used both colored pencils & gel markers.  The gels have more intense color, while the pencils have a softer effect.  

Super Contributor

Re: Adult coloring ?...can you use markers or just colored pencils? Looking to buy as a gift

Thanks I'll check out gel markers...I was afraid that the markers would bleed through the paper...I'm assuming it's paper.

Respected Contributor

I use gel pens. Pretty much anything that can have a super sharp tip works fine.  No bleed through.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

Oh one last question...does it have to be fine or super fine tip markers?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So far, I have not had any problems with them bleeding through.  The paper in my books is thicker than typing paper but not as thick as watercolor paper, if that helps any.

I prefer the superfine for the small detailed designs, but it's really a matter of what kinds of designs they'll be coloring.

Honored Contributor

I started out using colored pencils, but just didn't care for them.  I currently use Staedtler Triplus Fineliner markers, a variety of other markers (non-gel) that I picked up at Michaels.  I also use some Gelly Roll metallic and stardust markers for accents.  I always remove the page from the book, as it's a more comfortable way for me to color.  But if i had to leave the page in the book, I'd be sure to put paper or cardstock behind the page in case of bleed-through.  There are, however, many, many, many folks who prefer colored pencils.  Just giving my current favorite method.  Enjoy coloring!

Honored Contributor

I doodle a lot and find the gel pens to be the easiest to color in large areas with my arthritic fingers.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all of the suggestions and input. I am currently looking online and didn't realize that there are so many options...washable, permanent, fine tip, ultra fine tip, felt tip, metal clad tip...I just want markers to color with...growing up we purchased whatever was on sell during back to school season, lol

Honored Contributor

Some books are bleed proof and some not.  If not, you can tear out the page and put it on a clipboard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment