Honored Contributor

Re: Adrian Peterson Will Be Playing On Sunday...

On 9/15/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I don't think there is absolutely any way that someone would lose his/her job for being arrested for something, if they haven't been convicted. No way. You cannot try someone in the court of public opinion. You know how many times people are arrested for something and later found not guilty?

Yes employers can and might fire someone for being convicted of a felony but to fire them when they've been arrested but not convicted? No way. Has anyone here ever heard of innocent until proven guilty?

I'm guessing that the reason Adrian Peterson is going to play is because he's not been through the court system yet. Ray Rice has been.

ITA. Once convicted? Absolutely, then any morals clauses kick in. Until then? Absolutely not. I can possibly see them suspending with pay pending an investigation. But the legal process has to play out - however heinous the offense.

Valued Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Ford1224 said:

Charles Barkley was on CNN this morning and said that this kind of physical punishment was the "culture" in the south where he grew up. He does not look at it as domestic abuse. He did admit that Peterson got carried away, but still had no problem with it. By the way, this is not a racial matter, but a regional one.

A huge man weighing a quarter of a ton, standing 6'2" tall pulls down his four-year-old son's pants and whips him until he bleeds, and this is acceptable "culture?"

I guess what goes on in Africa's "culture" is also acceptable then?

Charles Barkley is known for his stupid comments. This one about "the south" is just another stupid, unfounded, uneducated comment.

Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Complicated said:

I don't think there is absolutely any way that someone would lose his/her job for being arrested for something, if they haven't been convicted. No way. You cannot try someone in the court of public opinion. You know how many times people are arrested for something and later found not guilty?

Yes employers can and might fire someone for being convicted of a felony but to fire them when they've been arrested but not convicted? No way. Has anyone here ever heard of innocent until proven guilty?

I'm guessing that the reason Adrian Peterson is going to play is because he's not been through the court system yet. Ray Rice has been.

sure they can, if it is in their contract or a "morals clause" issue.

Then we've lost the premise of our entire justice system.

that does not work in contracts with clauses, usually.

But I'm talking specifically about just a normal, everyday person. Terrier specifically mentioned an engineer losing his job over something like this.

So contracts can get an organization around the legal system?

Respected Contributor

sure they can, if it is in their contract or a "morals clause" issue.

Then we've lost the premise of our entire justice system.

that does not work in contracts with clauses, usually.

But I'm talking specifically about just a normal, everyday person. Terrier specifically mentioned an engineer losing his job over something like this.

So contracts can get an organization around the legal system?

remember, most states are at will employers.

I think that most organizations for "normal" everyday people don't have morals clauses-- and the union would fight for them in many cases.

Think about teachers though-- and police. They are often on leave without pay once accused of something, so firing is not all that different.

Anyway, this ambiguity is the problem-- clarity within the league is needed.

Esteemed Contributor

What do I think? If this were your or I we would be fired. Stupid football and its over paid, over pimped players. Not a fan of the sport, or the NFL. I might add, I find it disgusting that many footballs players who lack the smarts float through college on sports scholarships while SMART children are refused a proper education due to money. Its sickening!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

What do I think?

I think I replied to a thread about this a few days ago. Most did not agree with what I had to say and that is what the world is all about.

At the time of my other response I had not seen pictures of the child's body parts. After looking at them I think the father went too far in his style of discipline and I don't care what part of the country in which he was raised.

My family believed in corporal punishment and, as I said in my other reply, so did all the nuns during my 8+ years of being enrolled in a Catholic Grade School(whatever they call them nowadays). While I saw a switch/wooden spoon and a hand, non of them were done sans clothing and I don't remember any of them leaving cuts and welts. Red and sore spots? Of course, it didn't feel all that good. Injuries? To my pride maybe but none to my body or any of my older sisters when they were punished for something.

I heard about this football guy being raised that way, but I have to question his intelligence if he thinks leaving welts and open wounds on a 4 year old child, and I don't give a rats behind how he was raised. Anybody that spends time in college I would like to think has at least a bit of common sense, even though I've met many that I don't think qualify for what I just said.

Does this reach the level of being arrested for child abuse? I will leave that up to the legal system, but I hope in this case it works better than the DA/ and judge in the Rice case. That, in my opinion, was a travesty done to the lady involved(even though she didn't want to testify)and also a black eye to the legal system of that City/County or State, or all of them.

Will leave this here.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

remember, most states are at will employers.

I think that most organizations for "normal" everyday people don't have morals clauses-- and the union would fight for them in many cases.

Think about teachers though-- and police. They are often on leave without pay once accused of something, so firing is not all that different.

Anyway, this ambiguity is the problem-- clarity within the league is needed.

Not around here. Our police officers get into hot water on a fairly regular basis. They are always on paid leave pending an investigation.

Super Contributor

I think he ought to be canned. He has already admitted that he inflicted those wounds on his own child, so he doesn't need a formal trial or conviction for the public to know that he caused those injuries.

However, as everyone knows, the NFL is all about money. If the fans stay away from the games and boycott them, that will speak louder than anything.

So, anyone who watches football games and is sufficiently outraged about what is going on with these players can contact the NFL and let them know their feelings. They can contact the sponsors of the games and let them know. They can refrain from spending their money on jerseys, etc.

The fans, season ticket holders, and large corporate ticket holders and corporate sponsors are the groups who have the power to force the NFL to make changes.

Threaten the flow of money, and only then will you see real change.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Shorty2U said:

What do I think? If this were your or I we would be fired. Stupid football and its over paid, over pimped players. Not a fan of the sport, or the NFL. I might add, I find it disgusting that many footballs players who lack the smarts float through college on sports scholarships while SMART children are refused a proper education due to money. Its sickening!

I am not condoning what AP did but I do not agree the average Joe or Josephine would be fired from his or her job because they'd been charged with "reckless or negligent injury to a child."

Dare I say, in many communities the child would not be taken to the doctor and the incident would not have been reported.

Honored Contributor

Another thing is that he had another son (that was 2) die last year because of a beating administered to him by the mother of the child's boyfriend.

This is just crazy.