Honored Contributor

Re: Adrian Peterson Will Be Playing On Sunday...

On 9/15/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

This entire mess with players in the NFL has me wondering... If someone has hit their child with a switch, should they be fired from their job before going through the legal system? Would an engineer lose his/her job?

I don't know if using a switch on a child is against the law. I think it should be, but is it? I honestly don't know anyone whose parents whipped them. It wouldn't enter my mind to whip a child. I think AP child probably fears him now. That is not parenting.

Yes, I think most employers would fire someone the moment they were arrested - ESPECIALLY for child abuse. Most states have laws where employees can be fired for ANY reason (any reason not covered by civil rights laws, that is)...

There was a story here about a guy who fell from the top deck at a football game and landed on another guy. The first man was horsing around on the guardrail and slipped. He worked at an ad agency & was fired the next day.

Yes, an engineer would lose his job. Probably not a teacher, policeman, anyone in a union. Due process and union contracts would apply.

Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 terrier3 said:

This entire mess with players in the NFL has me wondering... If someone has hit their child with a switch, should they be fired from their job before going through the legal system? Would an engineer lose his/her job?

I don't know if using a switch on a child is against the law. I think it should be, but is it? I honestly don't know anyone whose parents whipped them. It wouldn't enter my mind to whip a child. I think AP child probably fears him now. That is not parenting.

Yes, I think most employers would fire someone the moment they were arrested - ESPECIALLY for child abuse. Most states have laws where employees can be fired for ANY reason (any reason not covered by civil rights laws, that is)...

There was a story here about a guy who fell from the top deck at a football game and landed on another guy. The first man was horsing around on the guardrail and slipped. He worked at an ad agency & was fired the next day.

Yes, an engineer would lose his job. Probably not a teacher, policeman, anyone in a union. Due process and union contracts would apply.

That's IF they've been arrested. What about if they haven't been arrested. That is what scenario I putting out there...

Regular Contributor

On 9/15/2014 esmerelda said: When I heard this I knew there would be a thread and I was pretty sure who would start it. And I'm 2 for 2. LOL! To answer the question...I'm fine with it. It's a legal matter. The law will handle it. Keeping him on the bench will not make his son heal faster.

...and I knew what your answer would be before I opened it!

I think you've been complimented, esmerelda. terrier3 knew you would have a thoughtful, tempered response and that AP should have the due process to which we're all entitled. And I agree with you 100%.

Respected Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 9/15/2014 momma3gs said:
On 9/15/2014 scotttie said:
On 9/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

Charles Barkley was on CNN this morning and said that this kind of physical punishment was the "culture" in the south where he grew up. He does not look at it as domestic abuse. He did admit that Peterson got carried away, but still had no problem with it. By the way, this is not a racial matter, but a regional one.

A huge man weighing a quarter of a ton, standing 6'2" tall pulls down his four-year-old son's pants and whips him until he bleeds, and this is acceptable "culture?"

I guess what goes on in Africa's "culture" is also acceptable then?

Huh? What is "Africa's" culture and how does that come into play here???? The issue is child abuse, it's pretty much a no brainer that if your "whipping" bruises a child or makes him bleed there's nothing "cultural" about it. It's child abuse. I'm not African American, I'm not southern but I am 54 and when I grew up spankings and whippings were acceptable and common. But a couple of whacks with the bare hand on a childs rear was no big deal but even then belts, boards, sticks crossed the line. Barkley knows that. He's just trying to help a friend out.

I was referring to female circumcision of young girls at puberty. It is part of the culture to do that in Africa, but may be in other countries as well. My point is, "culture" doesn't make it right or okay.

Ford, I think you should go and add this last post to your original one. Otherwise everyone who comes to that post is going to comment on the Africa part. Do yourself a favor and go in and edit your other post to add this Smile

SCOTTIE, YOU'RE A REALLY GOOD PERSON.

Yes she is. She has come to my rescue many times, and others too. She is {#emotions_dlg.wub}.

Awww. Thanks you guys are too kind. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

What boggles my mind is how two people can have so little respect for each other...and themselves...they would share their bodies with people they dislike enough to spit on them.
Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

That's IF they've been arrested. What about if they haven't been arrested. That is what scenario I putting out there...

All the NFL players in the news now have been arrested. Peterson & Rice were indicted.Some others have been convicted and are still playing (they didn't get jail time).

If you do something wrong and no one knows about it and you aren't arrested...how would your employer find out about it??

Respected Contributor

I think abuse is terrible. ANY abuse.

I think that the NFL needs to clearly define the rules that they expect their players and coaches (and staff) to go by, and stick with those rules.

They need to put the rules in the contracts of all parties.

Right now it is all just too wishy washy and arbitrary, leading to a lot of questionable decisions.

Just make the rules and put it in the contracts. Enforce the contracts.

(this goes for any rule, not just against child abuse)

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/15/2014 SydneyH said:

Without a conviction, I suspect the team may be concerned about a lawsuit. I'm hearing Ray is filing a grievance case against the NFL and his team. It's about to get really ugly now.

The 49ers had someone play this past Sunday also, but the owner or manager (don't recall who) said that he wasn't convicted yet, they were just allegations, so I'm guessing they are trying to avoid a lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure where you draw the line when someone has been charged but not yet convicted. Or arrested but not even charged yet ? When is it okay to continue to play a player when is it not? What type of charge is okay what type of charge is not? I'm not sure it is a simple black-and-white answer.
Respected Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Complicated said:

I think abuse is terrible. ANY abuse.

I think that the NFL needs to clearly define the rules that they expect their players and coaches (and staff) to go by, and stick with those rules.

They need to put the rules in the contracts of all parties.

Right now it is all just too wishy washy and arbitrary, leading to a lot of questionable decisions.

Just make the rules and put it in the contracts. Enforce the contracts.

(this goes for any rule, not just against child abuse)

There was a radio personality who said the other day they already have it in their contracts that they can be fired for ANYTHING that reflects badly on the organization.

It's their discretion what they consider.