Respected Contributor

Re: Adrian Peterson Will Be Playing On Sunday...

On 9/15/2014 sharlee said:

Ironic, really - you can get put in jail for letting your kid play unattended in a park near your home, but severely beating them is apparently just fine.

I agree, and I'll add this: It depends on who you are. If you're a single mother living in a low IIincome neighborhood, there's one set of rules. If you're a star football player.earning millions for your organization, there's another set of rules.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

Ironic, really - you can get put in jail for letting your kid play unattended in a park near your home, but severely beating them is apparently just fine.

I agree, and I'll add this: It depends on who you are. If you're a single mother living in a low IIincome neighborhood, there's one set of rules. If you're a star football player.earning millions for your organization, there's another set of rules.

There were plenty of posters here ripping the moms who let their kids play in the park while they worked.

Respected Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

Well yes. There IS that!

Regular Contributor

On 9/15/2014 scotttie said:
On 9/15/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 9/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

Charles Barkley was on CNN this morning and said that this kind of physical punishment was the "culture" in the south where he grew up. He does not look at it as domestic abuse. He did admit that Peterson got carried away, but still had no problem with it. By the way, this is not a racial matter, but a regional one.

A huge man weighing a quarter of a ton, standing 6'2" tall pulls down his four-year-old son's pants and whips him until he bleeds, and this is acceptable "culture?"

I guess what goes on in Africa's "culture" is also acceptable then?

Huh? What is "Africa's" culture and how does that come into play here???? The issue is child abuse, it's pretty much a no brainer that if your "whipping" bruises a child or makes him bleed there's nothing "cultural" about it. It's child abuse. I'm not African American, I'm not southern but I am 54 and when I grew up spankings and whippings were acceptable and common. But a couple of whacks with the bare hand on a childs rear was no big deal but even then belts, boards, sticks crossed the line. Barkley knows that. He's just trying to help a friend out.

I was referring to female circumcision of young girls at puberty. It is part of the culture to do that in Africa, but may be in other countries as well. My point is, "culture" doesn't make it right or okay.

Ford, I think you should go and add this last post to your original one. Otherwise everyone who comes to that post is going to comment on the Africa part. Do yourself a favor and go in and edit your other post to add this Smile

SCOTTIE, YOU'RE A REALLY GOOD PERSON.

Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 wookie said:

For what it's worth, Ford, I didn't take offense to your original post. Just want you to know.

Thanks wookie.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 momma3gs said:
On 9/15/2014 scotttie said:
On 9/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

Charles Barkley was on CNN this morning and said that this kind of physical punishment was the "culture" in the south where he grew up. He does not look at it as domestic abuse. He did admit that Peterson got carried away, but still had no problem with it. By the way, this is not a racial matter, but a regional one.

A huge man weighing a quarter of a ton, standing 6'2" tall pulls down his four-year-old son's pants and whips him until he bleeds, and this is acceptable "culture?"

I guess what goes on in Africa's "culture" is also acceptable then?

Huh? What is "Africa's" culture and how does that come into play here???? The issue is child abuse, it's pretty much a no brainer that if your "whipping" bruises a child or makes him bleed there's nothing "cultural" about it. It's child abuse. I'm not African American, I'm not southern but I am 54 and when I grew up spankings and whippings were acceptable and common. But a couple of whacks with the bare hand on a childs rear was no big deal but even then belts, boards, sticks crossed the line. Barkley knows that. He's just trying to help a friend out.

I was referring to female circumcision of young girls at puberty. It is part of the culture to do that in Africa, but may be in other countries as well. My point is, "culture" doesn't make it right or okay.

Ford, I think you should go and add this last post to your original one. Otherwise everyone who comes to that post is going to comment on the Africa part. Do yourself a favor and go in and edit your other post to add this Smile

SCOTTIE, YOU'RE A REALLY GOOD PERSON.

Yes she is. She has come to my rescue many times, and others too. She is {#emotions_dlg.wub}.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

When I heard this I knew there would be a thread and I was pretty sure who would start it. And I'm 2 for 2. LOL! To answer the question...I'm fine with it. It's a legal matter. The law will handle it. Keeping him on the bench will not make his son heal faster.
Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 9/15/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Players stuck up for Michael Vick, too, saying that dog fighting was part of the Southern culture. Maybe so, but that doesn't make it right now, does it?

I was a Barkley fan, especially when he did commentary on college basketball games. I am not liking him now, after dismissing child abuse as part of Southern culture. I'm very disappointed in Charles.

The NFL just thinks it's bulletproof, and with the fans just backing any popular player no matter how egregious their actions, the NFL actions seem to bear that out.

Disgusting.

The horrible part about this is that all of these issues will soon be forgotten and the NFL knows that. Worshipping of athletes is rampant in this country and they are forgiven for practically anything they do. No wonder they feel omnipotent.

Yes. They dangle one hand slap (Rice) in front of the public when there was an outcry and they figure they've "dealt" with it, meaning they think they actually look like they give a krap. And heck, the fans don't care anyway!

You know, that's the thing that boggles my mind. All those people, and women especially, wearing his tee shirt. What is wrong with them? How is this teaching him (and others like him) anything? Are they saying, "hey, beat me up anytime?" Do they idolize these guys that much?

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

This entire mess with players in the NFL has me wondering... If someone has hit their child with a switch, should they be fired from their job before going through the legal system? Would an engineer lose his/her job?

I don't know if using a switch on a child is against the law. I think it should be, but is it? I honestly don't know anyone whose parents whipped them. It wouldn't enter my mind to whip a child. I think AP child probably fears him now. That is not parenting.

Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 esmerelda said: When I heard this I knew there would be a thread and I was pretty sure who would start it. And I'm 2 for 2. LOL! To answer the question...I'm fine with it. It's a legal matter. The law will handle it. Keeping him on the bench will not make his son heal faster.

...and I knew what your answer would be before I opened it!