Respected Contributor

Re: Adrian Peterson Will Be Playing On Sunday...

Along with the pics of that poor kid, I think that the glorification of these athletes is sick.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

On 9/16/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 9/16/2014 scotttie said:
On 9/16/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

So, was Barkley EXCUSING the switching thing or just explaining that it is a method southerners use?

He said it was common practice in the south when he was growing up.

Many with a similar background have said the same and that it's not a "big deal".

I don't know, though, that they understood the extent of injury that was inflicted by Peterson when they made the statements.

Did he say though that it was no big deal? I'm not challenging just curious because I did not see the interview. I have seen kids switched before but never stripped down first and never bloody. Yes, it was a southerner.

No, I don't think he did. Sorry I put that in quotes.

This is the actual interview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/charles-barkley-adrian-peterson_n_5822258.html

Thank you, kitty. Went and watched it. Certainly appeared to be defending Peterson. I get what he was TRYING to say but this case wasn't the one to defend.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 9/15/2014 herekitty_kitty said:

<br /> how very politically incorrect. Africa and the South are far apart. The majority of African Americans have never even been to Africa. if posters didn't know you it looks like you're trying to make it a black racial thing. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Recently there was a thread here about disciplining children with a switch. The poster, a Caucasian, tried to convince others that this common in the South.

Hello lulu, just a little clarification. The poster (Ford) who made the Africa comment was actially trying to make the point that "culture" is no excuse. She was responding to the Barkley comment that it was cultural. She later explains herself in post #12, I think.

She was saying female circumcision was cultural in Africa so should that be okay because it is cultural.

Just explaining what she actually said and meant.

Hi scottie . . . just saw this. Thanks so much in the first place, for realizing what I said was going to be misconstrued . . . and in between, and now, again. You've gone over and above for me, and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. I will say as candidly as I can, I am not and never have been, and never will be bigoted in anything I say. I deplore bigotry.

Thanks again . . . I wouldn't have seen this and so it would have stood, so to speak, but for your alerting me. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 9/16/2014 lulu2 said:
On 9/15/2014 herekitty_kitty said:

<br /> how very politically incorrect. Africa and the South are far apart. The majority of African Americans have never even been to Africa. if posters didn't know you it looks like you're trying to make it a black racial thing. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Recently there was a thread here about disciplining children with a switch. The poster, a Caucasian, tried to convince others that this common in the South.

Hello lulu, just a little clarification. The poster (Ford) who made the Africa comment was actially trying to make the point that "culture" is no excuse. She was responding to the Barkley comment that it was cultural. She later explains herself in post #12, I think.

She was saying female circumcision was cultural in Africa so should that be okay because it is cultural.

Just explaining what she actually said and meant.

Hi scottie . . . just saw this. Thanks so much in the first place, for realizing what I said was going to be misconstrued . . . and in between, and now, again. You've gone over and above for me, and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. I will say as candidly as I can, I am not and never have been, and never will be bigoted in anything I say. I deplore bigotry.

Thanks again . . . I wouldn't have seen this and so it would have stood, so to speak, but for your alerting me. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Many had parents from the Deep South that didn't choose to use tree branches to hit children. although I do know someone from the pacific NW who did experience that, having to cut the branch themselves. This has nothing to do with culture or race.
Esteemed Contributor

No he won't be playing on Sunday.