Super Contributor

Adjusting to living alone for a long period of time

I have lived alone now for over 20 years and I find it more difficult as time goes by. If you are a solo dweller I could appreciate a few tips. I work 8 hours a week which gets me up and out. Not motivated otherwise. I also don’t have immediate family. Thanks for any words of wisdom/encouragement
Valued Contributor

Re: Adjusting to living alone for a long period of time

I don't know your particular circumstances, however, if you don't have a pet now maybe you can consider getting a dog.  They keep you on your toes and give you something to care for.

Super Contributor

i live alone and work 40 hours a week.  I volunteer - try that.  I volunteer about 10 hours a week - it gets me out of the house.  Otherwise, I would come home and stay there until I had to go back to work again.

Valued Contributor

I, too, live alone and have no immediate family.  My dog "makes" me go for a walk twice a day. She makes me laugh every day.  She is the joy of my life.

If you're so inclined,  you might try a dinner or book club, volunteering or church.

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I have lived alone now for over 20 years and I find it more difficult as time goes by. If you are a solo dweller I could appreciate a few tips. I work 8 hours a week which gets me up and out. Not motivated otherwise. I also don’t have immediate family. Thanks for any words of wisdom/encouragement

@gellen 

We need a little more information .... are you retired, disabled, or just have a passive income that doesn't require you working full time?

My first thought is you could benefit greatly from having a cat or dog.  Dogs need to be walked, but cats can use a litter box and don't have to be taken outdoors.

Maybe do some volunteer work at a no-kill shelter and see what you are attracted to more?  You don't have to make a decision quickly  ...  think about it.

Honored Contributor

I suggest a dog.

You won't be thinking about being alone because your best friend is living with you.

They make us smile and laugh, want to get up in the morning.  You now have a responsibility, begin thinking about taking care of your dog, less about yourself.   

People are more likely to stop to talk to you when walking a dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen 

To add to what @Stevie Nix suggested! Also might consider a cat. They are more independent as they can be left alone for long periods of time. A litter box/food/water, and a comfy place to sleep. Don't need someone to let them outside, and they do not tear things up when left alone.

We have both and they are a great comfort at all times. I will say this. Do Not Buy! There are way too many waiting to be adopted into a forever home. There are puppies/kittens, and dogs and cats of all ages that need to be rescued.

I lived alone for well over 20 years after my mother died. I was probably much younger than you at the time. Even now I am alone because of my wife's Pet Sitting Business, where she Sits in her Clients Homes. She has been gone now, which will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I think she will be home Saturday.

It is easy for me to be comfortable being alone. I have many things I can do to occupy my body, my mind, or both simultaneously. If you are still working and out and about! Look maybe for new things that might interest you. There are lots of things around, one has to find the ones that suit them.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@gellen 

I realize that we don't even know if you're a pet person, but can I add that if you do decide to bring home a dog or cat, please visit a shelter to choose your pet.  You can skip the difficult puppy/kitten stage and would be giving a needed home to a deserving animal. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's time to stop glamorizing "family and friends" during the holidays as advertizers tell us to do. 

Not everyone grew up on Walton's Mountain in a Currier and Ives card.

Respected Contributor

You need to get some hobbies.  What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?  Try taking some art or photography classes.  It will get you out of the house and you will meet people that have the same interests as you.