Trusted Contributor

Re: 😟 Additional B&M store closings

@hckynut wrote:

@LoveMyBaby 

I watched BIG companies take away most small mom and pop businesses. Technology marches on and now those companies are feeling the same loss. Our country, in my lifetime, has always been based on capitalism. Now most businesses take advantage of technology, as do most customers.

It's a shame in some ways for sure, but those in any retail business have to stay "ahead of the curve", or they probably won't survive in this era. Don't know about you, but most of the things I buy are via the online retailers. Convenient and generally much cheaper. That's a hard thing to compete against.

I always keep in mind the unemployment numbers are the lowest they have been in many decades, as are the types of jobs. Don't like seeing anyone lose their job. I watched as the BIG manufacturing plant where I was employed moved to another country. Fortunately it was after I retired.

hckynut

The big stores did their damage in the suburbs, but Wal Mart started in rural areas, and to this day, they're not thick on the ground.  They can be 50+ miles apart, many communities never had one at all, and as they say out there, distance matters.

The federal, state and local governments have done an amazing job at destroying rural communities wth regs and taxes, and the cities and suburbs are following along.  My local town has embraced Agenda 21 and 2030 with a vengeance, and over 60 businesses will be wiped out in addition to the ones they already trashed.  $3,000,000 went for sidewalks that are only used during parades.  If they pursue a road widening, over 100 businesses will be hurt or killed.  My county is gleefully expecting over 500,000 in population increases and aims for 100% development.  

Just yesterday I spoke to a woman from a rural county that had a no-growth policy.  They're now doing a road project that will kill dozens of companies, and that's on top of crippling water buy ins to keep people and companies away.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@hckynut , @Meowingkitty 

I live in a modestly small nest, lol --so not a lot of storage space for stocking up and the portions are huge. I adore Costco when I tag along with my daughter, but I usually just pick up all my needs at our local Kroger. 

You don't have to buy everything, you just buy selectively.  Costco is too far away to bother with, but at Sam's I pick up supplements, Springtime water (no one else sells it by the case), seasonings, walnuts (cheaper and tastier than elsewhere), a tv if needed, Splenda, and a few other things.  I don't buy a lot of food there, but a membership pays for itself in 1-2 visits even when buying for two.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Oddly enough, I think the retail environment may be ideal for the old mom and pop style stores to make a renaissance. Small, focused retailers can stock exactly what their local customers want where the national chains are more controlled by centralized buyers. If the mom and pop chains can find wholesale suppliers who will sell them the goods they want at comparable prices, they may be the next big trend. A lot depends on the wholesalers being flexible. The chains tend to buy in massive quantities which gives them a lower cost per item, but their costs then increase as they stockpile and distribute those items. If the wholesaler can give the mom and pop stores that same low wholesale price, the mom and pop store could then undercut the national retailer (no warehousing and transhipping costs), make a fair profit, and tailor their inventory directly to their market. It's just a question of getting wholesalers to give the mom and pop stores the same price they give the big guys in the market.

@gardenman 

I've been thinking/wondering the same thing for awhile. Although I prefer shopping online,  there are times when I want or need something immediately.

Am I the only one who misses the store that seems to carry just one of the odd thing you need? 

It always depends on where you are.  My local area mostly ignores boutique businesses--of the private variety anyway--but they're thriving in other towns and cities.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I agree. Too many billion dollar corporations pay no taxes?  Then there are huge tech companies that are exempt from rules that govern what other news and opinion corporations can and cannot say or show?

The company I worked for for 33 years was declared to be "a monopoly" by one Judge Green in 1984. That company size paled/pales in size comparison to several tech Corp's that do not even get a mention of the word "monopoly". I have my own opinion on the "why" of that and to me that is anti-capitalist by its nature.

I think we both know where a large majority of people get their news, and when technology can play a part in picking that content? We are more than likely on the same page on this.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Our choices are not being taken away from us.  The market is adjusting to the way the public  chooses to shop.  

Two household homes are over-taxed with raising children, working and trying to keep things together, therefore, on-line shopping is our choice.  I remember when I was younger and working a five day work week and trying to do everything...shopping, cleaning, cooking, bill-paying, etc. and thank goodness I had the energy to get it done.  Our nieces who work wouldn't think of doing the same thing.  They shop on line and have everything delivered.  I don't blame Amazon, Walmart or any other company for seeing and opening and taking it.

That really depends on who you are, doesn't it? If you're someone who does a lot of online shopping, you helpmed make that choice. If you're someone who does not shop online, you didn't and the market isn't adjusting to you, it's adjust away from you.

Honored Contributor

Yay ! I checked my Bed and Bath in Tx. isn't affected.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Sad. Many people losing their jobs and more empty store fronts. But Jeff Bezos can be so proud. I am sure this is not all Amazon’s fault, but they certainly played a part.

@Puppy Lips 

IMO, technology is the real culprit.  If there was no internet shopping, we'd all still  be going to B&M stores.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Quit blaming Amazon and online retailers.  Most people will go with the most efficient and economical way to shop.  At one time we had to make the time to go to B & M stores or do without.  I rarely if ever tried on clothing in the stores but took them home and then often had to make another trip to return or exchange things.  I always hated wasting time shopping so I just about always catalog shopped when I was younger and avoided having to go to stores when I wanted something.  That also gave me access to much more interesting and unique clothing and products.    It is more and more obvious that going to malls and stores locally is a thing of the past for most now.   

@Pook 

OMG, I forgot how many catalogs I'd get in the mail ... and I ordered often.   I once had a whole wicker basket of recent catalogs and remember my sister & I drinking wine and reading catalogs and showing each other interesting things in whichever one we were reading.  I loved catalogs ....  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
Sad. Many people losing their jobs and more empty store fronts. But Jeff Bezos can be so proud. I am sure this is not all Amazon’s fault, but they certainly played a part.

@Puppy Lips 

IMO, technology is the real culprit.  If there was no internet shopping, we'd all still  be going to B&M stores.

@Tinkrbl44 But, if there was no Amazon, people could buy from the specific store websites, then their actual B & M stores might stand a chance.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

When I was younger and newly married almost every weekend I would go to the mall for at least a couple of hours to try on clothes, look at stuff, see what’s new, etc. I almost always bought something. Now when I do go to the mall it’s to go into 1 maybe 2 stores. Get what I need and leave. Half the time they don’t have my size or I can get it cheaper online. I’ve tried to recapture the thrill of going to a mall recently by saying “on Saturday I’m going to check out the mall and see what they have” only to check out a few things and get bored and leave. I can do than in the comfort of my home. Malls aren’t fun anymore. 

@Meowingkitty I do get that. I used to spend a lot of time in the malls as a kid.  But the older I got, the more frustrated and tired I got, looking in all the stores for something specific that I wanted.  Say I needed a white blouse.  Going into the big stores like Macy's, JC Penney, Halles, etc, with how the clothes were arranged by designer.  There could be white blouses spaced out all over the huge retail floor.  Then onto the smaller stores, walking in, taking a quick look around and then moving onto the next store.  It just was not fun to shop that way and got too tiring.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead