Regular Contributor

Re: Adblocker Plus: go or no go !

The comments I made above apply to a Mac, so maybe they do not work for your iPad.  For an iPad, go to Settings, click on Safari, and toggle off the pop up option.  Then, also hit the Clear History button because pop ups may already be in your cache so that just toggling off new ads will not get rid of the pop ups existing in your cache.  Sorry for any confusion and I hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

@JanetsGirl 

Went to settings/ Safari and no " Preferences " to click on. There was a line " Block PopUps " and it was already on.

Don't know where else to go.

When I read the one review, it mentioned that the person had a complicated prep before they could use the app.  It stopped me from proceeding.

@jlkz,  While it's a good idea to enable "Block-Pop-ups" with mobile Safari, it's only marginally effective.

If you're referring to the "Adblock Plus for Safari" app, I'm not sure why a reviewer reported complications.  I found it easy to install and try out the app.   

Just download it from the App Store, then go into

Settings-->Safari-->Content Blockers

and enable Adblock Plus.   

Then you're all set to use Safari as you normally do, and see what you think.   

I think it works nicely...  but if you don't like it, all you have to do is delete the app (or disable it if you want to keep it for some reason) and you'll be back to Safari as it looked before.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@JanetsGirl 

Went to settings/ Safari and no " Preferences " to click on. There was a line " Block PopUps " and it was already on.

Don't know where else to go.

When I read the one review, it mentioned that the person had a complicated prep before they could use the app.  It stopped me from proceeding.

@jlkz,  While it's a good idea to enable "Block-Pop-ups" with mobile Safari, it's only marginally effective.

If you're referring to the "Adblock Plus for Safari" app, I'm not sure why a reviewer reported complications.  I found it easy to install and try out the app.   

Just download it from the App Store, then go into

Settings-->Safari-->Content Blockers

and enable Adblock Plus.   

Then you're all set to use Safari as you normally do, and see what you think.   

I think it works nicely...  but if you don't like it, all you have to do is delete the app (or disable it if you want to keep it for some reason) and you'll be back to Safari as it looked before.

@jlkz 

@dooBdoo is right, as usual.  Although she's an expert in this area, I'm certainly not.  If I can use it, anyone can!  I downloaded the app, enabled it, and it does its own thing on its own.  

The only time I have to do anything with it is sometimes when I go to a free site it wants me to disable the AdBlocker, which you can do easily for various sites if you want/need.  Otherwise I never even remember I have it.

Easy peasy.  Not complicated at all.  No problems.  Works fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am also an Ad Block product user and it works great.....

As @chickenbutt said, you get scolded by sites that implore you to remove the Ad Blocker, but I just laugh and move on....and it makes you wonder what kind of ads do they have that make them MUST SEE....gives one cause to pause that without Ad blocker we'd be bombarded with ads, spyware and spam in our email..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I, too, have liked AdBLock Plus for many years.   I don't have any complaints at all.

My only issue, that is not anything bad about them, is that when you go to many sites they put up a huge window admonishing you for using an adblocker and telling you that you must allow ads if you want to be there.

Consequently, I just leave the site.   I don't need to be on ANY site bad enough to get a bunch of ads and spyware, etc.

@chickenbutt

Yes, you are stopping the site from showing an ad. I find another way to view the content or I don't see the story.