Esteemed Contributor

Actor Rip Torn Has Died

[ Edited ]

He was 88 years old.

This came across my news feed.

Rip Torn, Actor Known for ‘Men in Black’ and ‘The Larry Sanders Show,’ Dies at 88   

The Wrap

Ross A. Lincoln

The Wrap

July 9, 2019

Rip Torn, Actor Known for ‘Men in Black’ and ‘The Larry Sanders Show,’ Dies at 88

Rip Torn, the actor best known for playing Artie on HBO’s “The Larry Sanders Show” and Zed in ‘Men in Black’ died Tuesday at his home in Lakeville, Connecticut, his representatives said. He was 88.

In a career spanning more than six decades, Torn established himself as a versatile performer, appearing in 10 Broadway plays and directing one, more than 80 feature films, and dozens of television appearances.

Born Elmore Rual Torn Jr. in Temple, Texas in 1931, Torn studied acting at Texas A&M and the University of Texas and served a stint in the US Army before heading to Los Angeles in the mid 1950s to pursue an acting career. He made his film debut with an uncredited role in Elia Kazan’s 1956 film “Baby Doll” before relocating to New York City to study at the Actor’s Studio.

From there he established himself as a prolific stage actor, making his Broadway debut in the original cast of Tennessee Williams’ “Sweet Bird of Youth” as as “Tom, Jr.”, a role he would reprise for the feature film and TV movie adaptations. We was nominated for a Tony award in 1960 and received a Theater World award for his performance.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

That's sad news

Honored Contributor

He was a turbulent, interesting character actor who created one-of-a-kind performances.  Married to Geraldine Page, and cousin to Sissy Spacek.  RIP.

Honored Contributor

I thought he was quite a fine actor,RIP

Honored Contributor

I am sad to learn of his passing...he was a very versatile actor and loved seeing him in so many different roles. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Actor Rip Torn Has Died

[ Edited ]

I think I remember him more from the 60's and 70's.  He did a lot of tv, like Bonanza, Dr Kildare, Ben Casey, and he had a regular guest appearance on the Untouchables.   If you go to IMDB and cue in his name there a list of TV and film appearances going back to 1956.  But I think he was better  known on the stage.  Early on he had a reputation as an actors actor.  I remember him goinng back that far, cause my Dad always commented on his name.

Honored Contributor

For some reason I used to get these three actors mixed up; they were all in a lot of things around the same time period.  Rip Torn, Bradford Dillman and Dean Stockwell. I'd especially mix up the latter two and never could remember which was which.

As for Rip, some of you may remember him in a Columbo episode that plays fairly frequently on the Oldies networks.   He is the uncle of a newphew who wins the lottery, and stupidly entrusts the winning lottery ticket with his uncle.  Rip (the uncle) kills his nephew and cashes in the winning ticket of course. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

For some reason I used to get these three actors mixed up; they were all in a lot of things around the same time period.  Rip Torn, Bradford Dillman and Dean Stockwell. I'd especially mix up the latter two and never could remember which was which.

I got him mixed up with Rip Taylor---he was a comedienne, of sorts.  Toupee and bushy mustache.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   I remember Rip Taylor.  He always reminded me of the Wizard of Oz (when Dorothy wandered into his tent and he told her to go back home to Auntie Em, before the tornado hit). He really looked like actor Frank Morgan (the Wizard). 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

He was a turbulent, interesting character actor who created one-of-a-kind performances.  Married to Geraldine Page, and cousin to Sissy Spacek.  RIP.

@Oznell 

He was also married to Ann Wedgeworth and Amy Wright.

When I hear about the passing of an actor I'll always mention it to Better-half who never fails to scoff.  "I didn't realize you two were so close," he'll say.

But what's interesting about Rip Torn is that it was Better-half who alerted me of his passing in a text sent to me at work.

Rip must have made an impression on him.

Godspeed.

Rip Torn

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~