Honored Contributor

Re: Actor Anton Yelchin (Star Trek) Killed in Freak Accident at Age 27

@Desertdi wrote:

Why was the car in gear?    

Supposedly he had it in neutral (probably to go open the gate) and had a steep driviway and it just slid down the driveway and crushed him against the post and iron fencing.

It was a 5,000 lb. Jeep   - he didn't have a chance.   

Respected Contributor

More about the Jeep recall:

According to a summary of the NHTSA report on the “defect” (PDF):

The affected vehicles, equipped with an eight-speed automatic transmission and a monostable gear selector, may not adequately warn the driver when driver’s door is opened and the vehicle is not in PARK, allowing them to exit the vehicle while the vehicle is still in gear.

Drivers thinking that their vehicle’s transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged.

By April 12, 2016, Fiat Crysler had identified 212 crashes, 308 claims of property damage, and 41 injuries related to the issue, according to a submission [PDF] to the NHTSA.

According to Fiat Crysler Automotive, the issue stems to from the design of the electronic shifter. When the driver shifts the vehicle into park, the only indication to the driver is a light on the console: “unless due care is taken, drivers may draw erroneous conclusions about the status of their vehicles.”

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

May the force be with him. RIP

@SeaMaiden...Anton was in Star Trek, not Star Wars.  Nonetheless, it is sad. 😢

@SurferWife  opps, my wrong... not really a fan of either, but still  I sure got that wrong!  Regardless..... He was so young and so talented from what everyone says about him to die to soon.

Super Contributor

If he was exiting the car, why wasn't it in 'park'? If the car was on an incline or decline, he should have used the parking brake. He could have gotten out of the car quickly for one reason or another, and we will probably never know why. Many assume it's a faulty vehicle when the answer could very well be operator error. A tragic accident.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother has a very steep driveway and I have a small car and it rolled down the driveway on me even with the parking brake on.  It can and does happen and I am still not over it.  Thank God it rolled into the street and onto the front lawn.  By the grace of God, it hit nothing and no one.   

I am a huge Star Trek fan although not as into the new reboot but he was an amazing actor in the films.  I think the new one is coming out in a few weeks.  It's the 50th anniversary of the franchise and I can't believe we will be missing such a young member at the celebration.  My thoughts are so with his family.  

Contributor

Oh how sad, he was so young. Smiley Sad 

Respected Contributor

Wow.  I just realized he was in the 2014 film "5 to 7" -- a very sweet and poignant love story.  He was very good in it.  I just watched it again yesterday on Showtime.  How very, very sad.

Respected Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

If he was exiting the car, why wasn't it in 'park'? If the car was on an incline or decline, he should have used the parking brake. He could have gotten out of the car quickly for one reason or another, and we will probably never know why. Many assume it's a faulty vehicle when the answer could very well be operator error. A tragic accident.

Maybe he thought it was in "P" but it was in "N"?  Of course it's speculation but I agree with what reports and complaints have said about that JGC, the electronic shift in those vehicles was poorly designed and I can see why the manufacturer dumped it for a conventional gear shift.

Here's an instructional video for the electronic shift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUHNubRztk

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____