Respected Contributor

📢Acer Security Breach Exposes 34,500 Online Shoppers Sensitive Data📢

Just  a heads up for anybody

involved or interested:

::

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085650/security/massive-acer-security-breach-exposes-highly-sensitiv...

Massive Acer security breach exposes highly sensitive data of 34,500 online shoppers

"Computer maker Acer recently revealed to California’s Attorney General (AG) that hackers broke into the company’s online store and grabbed sensitive customer data.

The leaked data includes information such as customer names, addresses, and credit card numbers including expiry dates and three-digit CVC security codes. The hack affects 34,500 customers based in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, as first reported by ZDNet, which Acer later confirmed to PCWorld.

It’s not clear how the hackers got in to Acer’s servers. The company has only said it was the result of an unspecified “security issue.”

What we do know, however, is that the hackers obtained nearly a year’s worth of data stretching from May 12, 2015 to April 28, 2016, according to an Acer form letter submitted to California’s AG.

Acer told PCWorld the data was stolen because the company “inadvertently stored [the stolen consumer data] in an unsecured format.”

As a result, Acer said hackers were able to access the sensitive data “for customers who made a purchase on the site [between May 12, 2015 and April 28, 2016].”

The impact on you at home: Acer’s breach is particularly problematic because it affects key information that allows hackers to do actual damage.

Your name, address, credit card number, expiry date, and CVC code is exactly the data you need to commit credit card fraud. Luckily, the hack affects just a small segment of online shoppers. But it goes to show that no matter how careful you are with data on your own PC, some hacks are simply beyond your control.

(This story was updated at 8:26 AM Pacific Time on June 20, 2016 with additional information from Acer.)"

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: 📢Acer Security Breach Exposes 34,500 Online Shoppers Sensitive Data📢

Thank you for this @newziesuzie.  It's been a technology whirlwind for me today as on top of this I also received a message from Google that there was odd activity on my Gmail address and I just switched anti virus software . . . it just never ends sometimes does it?  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Thank you for this @newziesuzie.  It's been a technology whirlwind for me today as on top of this I also received a message from Google that there was odd activity on my Gmail address and I just switched anti virus software . . . it just never ends sometimes does it?  Smiley Sad

You're welcome @momtochloe. Im

sorry you're having troubles.♥️

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thank you @newziesuzie for posting this information!

Respected Contributor

I hate to sound stupid, but who does this affect? People who bought Acer computer equipment Online? Or is Acer some kind of "mediary " for other online sites?

Honored Contributor

This might be a dumb question but I can use a computer and that's about it.  Does this affect just the people whp purchased from the Acer Store or people who have Acer computers and did online shopping?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mothertrucker @chrystaltree @SaRina @Tinkrbl44

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/20/11975464/acer-online-store-credit-card-address-information-securit...

"Affected customers are those

who bought anything from

Acer's North American web store

between May 12th of last year and April 28th this year,

and all will be receiving the letter

advising them of the security breach."

Frequent Contributor

This has turned into a daily occurrence! 😠