Honored Contributor

Re: According to the latest Robo call I am about to be arrested LOL

@OKPrincess  Will do.  Have file in Limoncello cake.  Will travel.  Stay tuned for my bail jump.   

Honored Contributor

OMG!  What a time I had on Friday.  I posted all about it here so I won't bore you guys again.

I took my phone over to my son-in-law who's business is computer safety...and he said it had not been hacked.

He said it isn't easy to hack iphones, but all phones can be hacked.  That's the same thing the lady at FCC told me when I called her on Friday.

I said, "You're going to think I'm crazy, but I think my phone's been hacked".  She said, "No!  Not at all!  It can happen".  

So maybe 2 weeks ago I decided to check to see how many 'different' times variations of the last 4 numbers of my phone had been used in robo calls.  I have caller ID and a phone that has the 'Block Call" button but it doesn't do that much.

Are you ready for this (I even wrote down the phone numbers to make sure they were each different).  There were 14 calls for those 4 numbers.  Then there was a total of 41 calls, all different numbers that were robo calls.  I didn't write down the exact number of days but from the best I can tell it was 7 days.  Not any more, maybe even less.

I have a land line but I don't even answer it anymore.  The reason I keep it is because I've since my oldest daughter was born and she's 45!

I've complained to my Senators (emails), Congressmen (emails).  I've even called the FCC a few times.  They say there isn't much they can do.

You know why the Senators and Congressmen don't care?  It called being friends with the lobbyists.  They get donations from them.  Plain and simple.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine was a tax problem. My return was wrong and I owed more. I told them they needed to talk to the preparer. If there was a problem, it was his fault. (I didn’t tell them that was me.)  Long story short… I was turned over to her “supervisor” who said they would call the sheriff. I said I knew the number and I would call them myself…and the connection was lost.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Oh yeah, the fickle finger of fate is robo calling again.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

High five from Cellblock D!  

LOL  I've been watching Orange is the new Black so this cracked me up.

Frequent Contributor

I'm in Colorado and that scam has been going on for at least 5 years now in different versions.  From the missed jury duty, warrant out for your arrest, IRS, and unpaid student loans.  The people I know don't even answer their phones for a number they don't know but what concerns me most is the young and the elderly.  Most of these calls now come from a local area code making people more apt to think it's someone they know so they answer, some even have manipulated the caller ID to say they are the local sheriff, IRS, etc.  The local news had on a young, supposedly educated college kid that got taken for student loan scam and the only reason the bank account wasn't completely drained was it was coupled w her father's and he got text alerts from bank all this money was getting taken out, he called her on other line and got her to hang up.  These maggots keep the person online the entire time they are sending them to buy the gift cards to pay back these supposed debts so they don't have time to call a friend or family to get support, advice, and prevent them from becoming a victim.  From the news reports we've had which have been numerous they say the con men and women are very belligerent scaring them so they do as instructed.  I can't tell you how many posts people have written on Next door telling how their elderly parent just got taken.  My dear parents are dead but while living I used to try to explain not to talk to people you don't know, just hang up immediately regardless, never ever give out ANY of your information.  It was just so hard for them.  When I moved in to help out (fortunately I was in position to do so and so grateful for those last few years) I'd hear the phone, them answer, listen intently, and proceed to give out private information time again even credit card info and bank account number when the scammer would say it's the bank they lost or need to double check it.  Of course I'd stop them and patiently and I admit probably sometimes not as patient as I now wish how they were getting scammed and my parents would always say "but she/he was so nice".  They were born in early 1900's and it just wasn't in them to hang up, be what they considered rude, and God forbid just not answer cause you never know.  Same thing w people coming to the door.  Arrrgggg it would drive me nuts but after a couple times I'd just walk in room when phone rang, if I knew they weren't talking to a friend, I'd reach out and obligatory they'd give me the phone, I'd say "can I help you" half the time they'd hang up the other half attempt their con.  It's got to be so scary for others who can't be w their newly on their own, not so savy kids, parents or whose parents were like mine that just didn't have it in them to realize conmen/women are friendly, attractive, well spoken and well dressed you can't tell by the way they look that they're up to no good. On top of it w the internet now, I'm sure they scam that way too.  It can be a scary world at times but as long as we keep sharing, stay educated, share our experiences even the bad, embarrassing ones we can help prevent others from being taken.  Thank you for your post and the reminder the maggots are always hungry! The FCC says they get more complaints about robo calls/scammers now than ever and more than any other type of complaints.  As you said they can't keep up. 

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The DoNotCall List is for legitimate companies to abide by, not the ones calling us (either illegitimate or from a foreign country). 

That arrest call is usually a robot speaking. Another variation is an outstanding loan & you will be arrested. 

Nomorobo, a free call blocker works pretty well. One ring, & stops.

Thanks for the info on Nomorobo!  we have had a issue lately and its been driving us nuts.

Trusted Contributor

Sad story:

The daughter of a friend moved out to live with her boyfriend, and received the jury duty call on her cell phone...from what looked like the county courthouse number  They told her that she missed showing up for jury duty, would be arrested.  They said that her mother gave them her cell phone number, and was hoping that the daughter could clear things up.  Well...$1,500 in savings later,  she called her mother to say it was taken care of.  Mom called the police, too late of course.  Evil people!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  Me too!  I'm thinking of making friends with Red while I'm in.