Trusted Contributor

Re: According to Jill, "MANY" of us have Summer homes...

Many people have a second house. We call ours a vacation home because we do not only use it during the summer.

Much ado about nothing.

Super Contributor

Ha! I should be so lucky as to have a summer home. My summer home is also my winter, fall and spring home as well. In fact, I was looking at the HGTV giveaway home in Martha's Vineyard and thinking even if I won, I would not only be unable to pay the tax on the prize, but there is no way I could pay the property tax on it either. I'm content with what I have in the city I love. It's not my dream home, but it's a good space and I'm in my city, near my university, in the state in which I was born.

Honored Contributor

I have a summer home. But I'm not "well off". Just invested wisely. We bought a little fixer-upper back in 2000. We tore it down 2 years ago and built brand new! Yes, I live in MI. We spend our summers at our cottage on Lake Charlevoix 250 miles north of my home here in SW MI. But my home is now up for sale. My dh is retiring this summer and we are making our cottage our primary residence. Yippee!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Perhaps Jill was referring to her circle of professional friends at QVC ..... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It seems plausible that the married QVC hosts have a spouse making at least a decent wage as well, so with real estate prices down the past few years, I'm guessing "many" might have bought income property.

I don't know which vendors have more than one home, but Isaac talks about his Hamptons home occasionally, so Judith Ripka, Lori Grenier, Dr Denese etc etc could also have them. No biggie. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I think this is spot on. We all tend to identify with what we are exposed to. I do have a summer house and so do the majority of my friends and acquaintances. Some are simple cottages and others are the polar opposite. Some even have winter, summer and main residences......
Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Danky said:
On 3/5/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Perhaps Jill was referring to her circle of professional friends at QVC ..... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It seems plausible that the married QVC hosts have a spouse making at least a decent wage as well, so with real estate prices down the past few years, I'm guessing "many" might have bought income property.

I don't know which vendors have more than one home, but Isaac talks about his Hamptons home occasionally, so Judith Ripka, Lori Grenier, Dr Denese etc etc could also have them. No biggie. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I think this is spot on. We all tend to identify with what we are exposed to. I do have a summer house and so do the majority of my friends and acquaintances. Some are simple cottages and others are the polar opposite. Some even have winter, summer and main residences......

Nobody I know has second/summer homes. They will have a rv/trailer. (I forgot, I knew one and they sold it) The people I know have professional jobs. It must be a regional thing. Many people who own these second homes are inherited. I am talking 2 comparative homes. Jill's summer home is nice.

Frequent Contributor

We just built a home on a lake, so I feel like it's a vacation home every time I look out the windows........I guess I don't need a "vacation/summer" home for now {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I'm not sure why Jill would make that type of assumption.

Super Contributor

I know several people with summer cottages but frankly I would rather sleep in a motel.