Honored Contributor

Re: Abramson Out at NY Times...

On 5/15/2014 terrier3 said:

Supposedly she found out she was making a LOT less than the former editor...and less than an assistant.

Why are women considered "pushy" and "demanding" if they want equal pay????

Did she resign? I don't now diddly about the NY Times as it ain't my type of reading. Seems like in any higher up position the person discusses their contract with the company. If she was happy with the contract I don't see what the last editor made has to do with anything.

I think woman doing the same job as a man should be paid the same salary. Now I am talking about the same job/with the same level of experience and the close to the same time spent working for a company. Time with a company should be worth something and I don't care if the woman is making more than the man, that is as it should be.

"Pushy or demanding"? I don't know who is saying that but it isn't something with which I agree. Woman have as much of a right as any man to reveal their displeasure about something to do with their employment and not be called out because that are the type that like to "speak right on up". Fact that is the type of people(either gender)that I like and sometimes admire.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 5/15/2014 Caravaggio said:

Wow how ironic- A newspaper that bashes others over glass ceiling ethics get's caught red handed..

Extra extra read all about it!

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 scotttie said:
On 5/15/2014 Caravaggio said:

Wow how ironic- A newspaper that bashes others over glass ceiling ethics get's caught red handed..

Extra extra read all about it!

At least they are reporting on abuses...I give them more credit that papers that pretend there isn't a problem!

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 anisa said:

The article has two issues - She recently found out she made less money than the men who had jobs before she did...and that her male assistant made more than she did.

Plus she was considered brisk, demanding, and not overly friendly with her staff.

In other words a beatch. A man acting that way would be considered a go-getter who gets the job done.

No. He would be considered a problem with whom it was hard to work and responsible for the likely loss of talented employees.

Good leaders create an atmosphere where employees feel valued not harassed.

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 occasional rain said:
On 5/15/2014 anisa said:

The article has two issues - She recently found out she made less money than the men who had jobs before she did...and that her male assistant made more than she did.

Plus she was considered brisk, demanding, and not overly friendly with her staff.

In other words a beatch. A man acting that way would be considered a go-getter who gets the job done.

No. He would be considered a problem with whom it was hard to work and responsible for the likely loss of talented employees.

I agree with you there...but look at guys like Trump and Welch...they are known as "tough businessmen" but they are often nasty, mean and abrupt with people.

There is a double standard. There shouldn't be, but there is.

Honored Contributor

Well, she's the one who negotiated her salary. She obviously undervalued herself and I really don't think her employer was required to pay her what they paid her predecessor. At her level, salaries are negotiated.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if she will write a book????

That is the second women to be fired abruptly. The other woman was CEO of the business side.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/15/2014 occasional rain said:
On 5/15/2014 anisa said:

You've obviously never worked in a newsroom. Being demanding is part of an editor's job. Being friendly isn't.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 5/15/2014 chessylady said: The only reason this made the news is because it happened at a well known newspaper to a highly qualified woman. This kind of stuff happens every day to many women that businesses take advantage of.

Yes, but most of those businesses aren't lecturing everyone else about equal pay issues.

Super Contributor

On 5/15/2014 NChgOfMyAttitude said:

Because the people running the show are hypocrites.

I don't see the comparison between editorial content of the paper and stories pursued by reporters vs. the HR practices there...remember it was Abramson who worked with her editors to determine the content of the paper, NOT the owner.

Would it have been better if they just refused to report on inequality in the workplace? I think that would have been worse.

But they weren't reporting on inequality in the NYT workplace, now were they?