Respected Contributor

Re: About packages left at doors!

Last year during the Christmas season, my son had 3 packages stolen from his front porch.  Sorry to say that Anchorage is notorious for package theft from mailboxes, porches and vehicles.

Now, my son has his packages forwarded to my address.

Honored Contributor

I disagree.

I always go directly to USPS or UPS.

It's still unreliable.

USPS is the worse, they sometimes change the tracking number mid-shipment

The original will show stuck in some podunk town for days, then poof at my door unexpectantly.

I don't buy much online for this reason.

I have done ship to store with about 90% success.

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@software wrote:

Tracking is a ******-shoot

Not if you go directly to the website of the shipping company (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc.).

I never rely on Macys, Nordstrom, QVC, HSN, etc. to have updated tracking.

I go to the carrier for the latest info.

Honored Contributor

The point of shopping on line to be delivered to you is to get it delivered to you.

If you have to make the extra step to go pick it up, what's the point?

@icezeus wrote:

I have a box at Postal Annex just for my packages. I do most of my shopping online so for peace of mind it was important for me to take this step. In fact I just renewed today for another 6 months. It cost me $78.00 and it's well worth the cost IMO.

Trusted Contributor

I do a lot of online shopping, especially around the holidays. Fortunately, DH and I both work full time. I am allowed to have items shipped to me at work and that works out well for me. The man in the lobby will either bring the package back to me in my office or he'll give me a call to let me know a package came and I'll right out and put in my car. If something is scheduled to be delivered on a weekend, they simply bring it in the following Monday. All the employees have started doing this now and nobody complains. It works out well for everybody.

Honored Contributor

My UPS man doesn't even ring the doorbell.  I learn there may be a package at the front door by checking delivery status online.  Otherwise, the package can sit there for days because I come and go via the garage, not the front door.  It makes me sad because the UPS man is a great guy and nice to see.

Honored Contributor

I watched this morning as the UPS guy ran up my sidewalk, took the trouble to put my package in between the outer and inner doors and ran back down my sidewalk.  He wasn't a young dude either.

With the unbelievable delivery schedules these men and women have this time of year, I thought he did a great job.  He didn't just throw it on my porch.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I've never had the Usps just drop a package on the front step and run.  I have never had the Usps lie and say that no one was home for delivery.  My local Post Office is 10 minutes away, so I don't mind picking up my packages on Saturday Mornings.  The UPS Access point is a little bit of hassle because it's in busy part of town and there is no parking.  But it's preferable to just dropping the package on the front step.  FEDEX is the worst, they also do lie about no one being home but they take the packages back their facility and and we have to go pick them up there....which I absolutely never do....I just go online and tell them to return the package.  The FEDEX facility is no where near my town, it's in a wharehouse area and they aren't open on Saturdays.   I try my best to avoid doing business with any company that delivers by FEDEX.  All those delivery services have us over a barrel and they know it.  They can drop out stuff in the middle of the ocean and tell us to go swim for it and there's nothing we can do about it. 

Honored Contributor

i no the drivers of the 3 that bring 99% of our packages and it is fine. we live in a pretty secluded area and our packages cannot be seen from street or driveway. anyone wanting to steal our packages? they will be sorry they tried

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Several years ago someone must have stolen a package from my front porch. Tracking info said it was delivered and my mailman told me he left it there. So after that single incident I decided to install a very-visible-in-your-face surveillance camera that's aimed right at my front porch. 

It's been a long time since then and I haven't had any problems with missing packages. My secret is that the camera is a drone...a fake! But it works!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

The point of shopping on line to be delivered to you is to get it delivered to you.

If you have to make the extra step to go pick it up, what's the point?

What's the point?  

1. To make sure I get the package.  

2. Nearly everything I buy online is NOT available locally so it is what it is.

I'd sign up with a mail drop if one were available in my area.  I have 23 packages coming next week via mail, UPS and Fed Ex, and while I'll be home to get the mail, she won't knock despite numerous requests to do so.  Fed Ex will drop and run, and only UPS is safe because I have to sign for everything due to a theft two years ago.  If I had a 9-5 job, I'd be in trouble, and I'd probably have my mail held for a Saturday delivery.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.