Respected Contributor

Re: About That Cargo Ship That's Blocking the Suez Canal...

@Mominohio, not only for us in our time to learn, but generations before us had trials and tribulations as well.  And they had to learn from those experiences.  My parents were kids during the depression, my grandfather remembered stories of his grandfather talking about how bleak things were during the Civil War, etc.  It isn't like life was ever a pancea and perfect in other generations.  Of course I am sure they complained as well.  lol

In the meantime, I will be adding coffee to my list.  Think I am ok with the toilet paper situation, but will certainly keep a watchful eye to monitor the situation, just in case. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Coffee....................

That does it!  Off to Costco this morning to get an extra big can.  And fill my gas tank!

I am set for T P...........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I guess Bigger isn't always Better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Is it just me or is the name Ever Given of this cargo ship ironic?

@Cakers3 

When I saw it last night, it looked like EVER GREEN.

@Drythe   The company is named Evergreen.  The ships are named with some variations of Ever_____.  This one is Ever Given.

hth

Dislodging Ever Given container ship blocking Suez Canal could take 'days  to weeks' - CNN

In Suez Canal, Stuck Ship Is a Warning About Excessive Globalization - The  New York Times

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Per Washington Post there are now 356 ships waiting to traverse Canal ( max # per day: 106) and if they need to offload containers its 18000 containers will be removed via helicopters!  

Honored Contributor

I still have a stash of Angel Soft from when that's all I could get. From what I hear, not too soft or angelic. But any port in a canal.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz @gizmogal 

You ladies got me interested enough to look up the MSN article, and this is what I found:

"Those sags could lead to the ship splitting in two, spilling the fuel and cargo—which includes COVID-19 supplies like respirators and personal protection equipment made in China en route to Europe—into the canal, making it temporarily impassable."

So I assume the fuel they're talking about is the ship's own fuel, rather than fuel it's carrying as cargo.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, Saturday's high tide came and went; progress was made, but not enough.  Here's more from today's NYT:

If the tugboats, dredgers and pumps cannot get the job done, they could be joined by a head-spinning array of specialized vessels and machines requiring perhaps hundreds of workers: small tankers to siphon off the ship’s fuel; the tallest cranes in the world to unload some of its containers one by one; and, if no cranes are tall enough or near enough, heavy-duty helicopters that can pick up containers of up to 20 tons — though no one has said where the cargo would go. (A full 40-foot container can weigh up to 40 tons).

Esteemed Contributor

Over the years I have visited both the Suez and the Panama Canals.

When you stand by them, they are not so big.  Sort like a single car garage door is narrow.  And the ships look tall.

Takes a skilled driver.

Honored Contributor

YIKES  how are they ever going to get tay thing out.  What a mess