Honored Contributor

Re: About That Cargo Ship That's Blocking the Suez Canal...

@Drythe wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

never drink that 'stuff'.    Man at my church drinks 13 cups at breakfast.

He's crazy as a **************

ok...

You're so diplomatic, @Drythe 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

What a mess this all is. I can't wait to see how they free the ship. Toilet paper I could improvise. Scott towels or washcloths can serve the purpose temporarily. Even a news paper if push came to shove. But....coffee?? No way. LOL I NEED my coffee just to get my heart started. Ha.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops    I loved the locks and damns on the Mississippi and, again, in Europe! They're workings absolutely fascinate me. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Is it just me or is the name Ever Given of this cargo ship ironic?

@Cakers3 

When I saw it last night, it looked like EVER GREEN.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Just read on MSN that there are real possibilities that tanker could capsized or split in two as this rescue progresses, causing an oil spill and loss of untold amounts of cargo.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Just read on MSN that there are real possibilities that tanker could capsized or split in two as this rescue progresses, causing an oil spill and loss of untold amounts of cargo.

It's not a tanker. It's a cargo ship with containers. There are no oil or liquid products to "spill". Since it's kind of stuck on the shallow area, it's in no danger of capsizing. Ships don't roll over when they are dug into the bottom!  If tugs and digging efforts don't get it free or moved parallel to the bank of the canal so it isn't blocking a seaway, they may have to arrange to offload much of its containers to lighten it so it floats again by its keel no longer touching  bottom. 

Since they've been working 24/7 on this it's very likely they'll beat the problem in a couple of more days. It's a big problem but it's solvable. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Is it just me or is the name Ever Given of this cargo ship ironic?

@Cakers3 

When I saw it last night, it looked like EVER GREEN.

@Drythe   The name of the company is Evergreen.  Its ships are all named Ever Something, in this case Ever Given.

Trusted Contributor

May I just say that I am SO TIRED OF THIS #%@$?  There, I said it and yes, I feel better.

It's always something %#&%%$ nowadays. Something to cause more strife/stress/upsetting/panic and of course money for us all today. Sometimes I sit and think "when is this going to end and positive news/events will be reported instead of disaster?"

*heavy sigh* It's been one of those weeks, folks.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I think that if people haven't learned from 2020, that if it can go wrong, it probably will at some time or another, they just haven't learned. 

We always lived prepared anyway, and with the continuing world stage, we are staying that way, with everything and anything within our control and affordability. 

I honestly don't think we can ever expect things to always just 'be there' ever again. Many things will, and for most of the time, but when the stuff hits, and it will from time to time, we are going to either be prepared or be doing without for awhile. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal :  You are partially correct, I called it a tanker rather than a cargo ship.  So you don't think a huge cargo ship can split and cause an oil spill? Please read the MSN article.