Honored Contributor

Re: Abbott Nutrition Issues Update 5/13

I'm wondering what did people do when they raised kids in times gone by

Trusted Contributor

Why did they wait till it got to this critical point before bringing in stock from their facility in Ireland?  And it's still going to be days before the formula reaches grocery shelves.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Babies died.

In 1950, 29 babies out of 1000 live births died in infancy.

In 2021 it was 6 out of 1000.

There must be some reason for the difference. Perhaps its because now that we know better, we do better.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Mom's breastfed. When they couldn't, if they were lucky, they would find a 'wet nurse.' Simply another woman producing milk to feed their baby for them.

History repeats itself. It's what's happening now. Groups of women are banding together for the cause. Those who can spare are pumping, storing and providing milk for mom's in desperate need during this formula crisis. 

Respected Contributor

Why did they wait until now?  Now they are heroes and not the bad guys who had to have their factory shut down. Great publicity.  (I'm just being snarky here, I'm sure there are other reasons that make perfect sense.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE 

Well, the women who have just given birth have breast feeding as a better option to do so. I can say it is an extra job to breast feed and have to  pump extra milk to store  for a baby  when you have to go back to work full time .I've worked with some co workers  who came back to work full time and they spent alot of working time pumping their breasts  all the while relying on their co workers to pick up their share of the work load.

You are forgetting there was a high mortality rate among babies back in the day and  that many women did not work outside of the home

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE  - Someone posted that back in the day before formula, there was a recipe with condensed milk mixed with something else that people used to feed babies.  That seems like a pretty easy concoction to duplicate if it gets to that point.  

Esteemed Contributor

Infant mortality rates in the US have a lot of variables and factors that must be counted.  Feeding is probably one part of it but it doesn't stop there.

We can't assign the blame to formula or prepared home made preparations for infants.  It's much bigger than that when you look at the infant mortality rate.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Infant mortality rates in the US have a lot of variables and factors that must be counted.  Feeding is probably one part of it but it doesn't stop there.

We can't assign the blame to formula or prepared home made preparations for infants.  It's much bigger than that when you look at the infant mortality rate.

Well, yes, of course. I'm sure vaccinations have a lot to do with it too. However, assuming that because it was good enough 50 years ago, doesn't mean it cuts the mustard now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Well, yes, of course. I'm sure vaccinations have a lot to do with it too. However, assuming that because it was good enough 50 years ago, doesn't mean it cuts the mustard now.

Well yeah, we do know more than we did back then too @JamandBread .  I agree with that. 

However, poverty in the US still exists.  With that said, many mothers (even those with access to care) will have it harder with nutrition while carrying and of course all of the other things some segments of the population engage in: drug and alcohol abuse.  These are those other variables that can contribute to the infant mortality rate.  Of course there's more.

I remember we it was announced that smoking cigarettes affected babies in utero.  That was years ago and it's still true now, but there are some segments of our population who still don't have access to proper counseling and care pre and post pregnancy (on behalf of the babies).  As a nation our stats could be better.  We have a lot of points to address.

Read this too

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/08/01/us-maternal-and-infant-mortality-more-signs-of-p...

this one too because it will go into detail that you and I probably agree on! 

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/infant-mortality-u-s-compare-countries/#Infant%...

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life