Honored Contributor

Re: Abandoned in a Hurricane/Disturbing but not to be ignored

[ Edited ]

If that person had their dog tied up like that all the time that dog was not their companion---they didnt even care..Makes me SO ANGRY!!!..I wish those people nothing but ill will!!!  Cat MadCat Mad  Cant say more or Id be poofed! 

SanAntonio is an evacuation center and all our animal shelters and animal organizations have made room for the animals coming from the storm areas. They are also going to Houston to pick up animals.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

A dog has been spotted chained up and abandoned as flood waters from Hurricane Harvey rise around it.

Photographs taken on Saturday show the dog chained to a telephone pole in Victoria, Texas, where as much as 10 inches of rain have inundated the area in the past 24 hours. 

The county remains under a flash flood warning, and Texas officials have warned repeatedly against leaving pets and livestock tied up in the elements.

A passerby freed the animal when it became apparent that the owner had abandoned it and it was in imminent danger of drowning.

Nearby in Victoria, another dog was seen chained to a tree outside a mobile home in a puddle of water, also seemingly abandoned.

In Roman Forest, Texas, about 150 miles north of Victoria, the police chief minced no words when it came to animal abusers. 

'I promise you, that I will hold anyone accountable that unlawfully restrains their dog in extreme weather conditions,' Chief Stephen Carlisle said in a statement on Friday. 

'Dogs are your family members too.' 

Carlisle pointed out there is a specific state law that prohibits leaving a dog tied up outside in any extreme weather conditions, including under a hurricane or tropical storm warning.

'Please do not keep your family members tied to a rope or chain' the police department in Montgomery County said on Facebook. 'It is against the law to keep a dog on a chain during extreme weather conditions.'

Poor dog abandoned in Texas as flood waters rise

This make's my blood boil, poor, sweet dog. I can't begin to understand how anyone could leave a pet behind. I have 4 cat's and can't imagine leaving them behind to die. You see the best, and the worst in people when something like this happen's.

Esteemed Contributor

The picture alone has made me cry. Woman Sad

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

If that person had their dog tied up like that all the time that dog was not their companion---they didnt even care..Makes me SO ANGRY!!!..I wish those people nothing but ill will!!!  Cat MadCat Mad  Cant say more or Id be poofed! 

SanAntonio is an evacuation center and all our animal shelters and animal organizations have made room for the animals coming from the storm areas. They are also going to Houston to pick up animals.......

@Spurt  The Freeman Coliseum is being used to house pets brought in by the evacuees.  I don't know how many are being sent to other shelters but the ACA has a tent set up at the check-in site to adivse folks about their pets.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

That photo is as heartbreaking, in its own way, as the picture of the ladies and the cat in the flooded nursing home.

I thought the people on this thread might appreciate hearing something positive about animal welfare and the law, if you hadn't already. From yesterday's New York Times:

"Last year, Connecticut enacted a law that, according to legal experts, made it the first state to allow judges to appoint lawyers and law students as advocates for dogs and cats in cases of cruelty, abuse and neglect." This is the kind of thing that can help prevent abused animals from being returned to their tormenters.

The story is titled "Abused Dogs and Cats Now Have a (Human) Voice in Connecticut Courts." It's worth working on getting similar legislation passed in every state.

Valued Contributor

That dog is now in a shelter.  It was brought there by the Daily Mail photographer who took that picture.  He wants to adopt the dog if possible.  It was a story on the Daily Mail US web site earlier tody.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Spurt  The Freeman Coliseum is being used to house pets brought in by the evacuees.  I don't know how many are being sent to other shelters but the ACA has a tent set up at the check-in site to adivse folks about their pets.

@Cakers3

Thats wonderful news that the evacuees have a place for their pets.

One of my friends got a cat from the Humane Society that was from Huricane Ike and the owner never came to pick him up...Hes a beautiful cat and has a good home HeartCat Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

There will be a lot of animals in that area that will be up for adoption which occured after Katrina. Some people will not be able to reunite with their pets. You can adopt one or send contributions to the Houston SPCA.

Valued Contributor

I am shocked that people would evacuate without their pets.  Why?  Maybe I just don't know about the reality on the ground.  I would never leave my pet, but if it was a matter of me dying would I decide differently?  These stories are the most heartbreaking of all because these animals are so helpless.  Plus, people don't leave their young children behind, so the pets are the only innocents left in danger. 

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

The dog is back with is owners.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4830550/Meet-Lucky-dog-saved-Hurricane-Harvey.html

Thank you for posting the link to the article.  I read the whole thing.  There were two dogs (both tethered), two cats and a pony.

The owners haven't returned to the trailer they abandoned.

I hope the animals are taken away by the local animal shelters and found better homes, but sadly people who would leave them like that will just replace them with others.