Honored Contributor

Abandoned in a Hurricane/Disturbing but not to be ignored

A dog has been spotted chained up and abandoned as flood waters from Hurricane Harvey rise around it.

Photographs taken on Saturday show the dog chained to a telephone pole in Victoria, Texas, where as much as 10 inches of rain have inundated the area in the past 24 hours. 

The county remains under a flash flood warning, and Texas officials have warned repeatedly against leaving pets and livestock tied up in the elements.

A passerby freed the animal when it became apparent that the owner had abandoned it and it was in imminent danger of drowning.

Nearby in Victoria, another dog was seen chained to a tree outside a mobile home in a puddle of water, also seemingly abandoned.

In Roman Forest, Texas, about 150 miles north of Victoria, the police chief minced no words when it came to animal abusers. 

'I promise you, that I will hold anyone accountable that unlawfully restrains their dog in extreme weather conditions,' Chief Stephen Carlisle said in a statement on Friday. 

'Dogs are your family members too.' 

Carlisle pointed out there is a specific state law that prohibits leaving a dog tied up outside in any extreme weather conditions, including under a hurricane or tropical storm warning.

'Please do not keep your family members tied to a rope or chain' the police department in Montgomery County said on Facebook. 'It is against the law to keep a dog on a chain during extreme weather conditions.'

Poor dog abandoned in Texas as flood waters rise

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Abandoned in a Hurricane/Disturbing but not to be ignored

Some people just don't deserve animals....I'm so glad that law enforcement stepped up!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Words could not describe how I feel about a person who would leave an animal outside under those conditions, and tied up to boot. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't even look at that photo. Now I can't un-see it! Breaks my heart!!Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

A dog has been spotted chained up and abandoned as flood waters from Hurricane Harvey rise around it.

Photographs taken on Saturday show the dog chained to a telephone pole in Victoria, Texas, where as much as 10 inches of rain have inundated the area in the past 24 hours. 

The county remains under a flash flood warning, and Texas officials have warned repeatedly against leaving pets and livestock tied up in the elements.

A passerby freed the animal when it became apparent that the owner had abandoned it and it was in imminent danger of drowning.

Nearby in Victoria, another dog was seen chained to a tree outside a mobile home in a puddle of water, also seemingly abandoned.

In Roman Forest, Texas, about 150 miles north of Victoria, the police chief minced no words when it came to animal abusers. 

'I promise you, that I will hold anyone accountable that unlawfully restrains their dog in extreme weather conditions,' Chief Stephen Carlisle said in a statement on Friday. 

'Dogs are your family members too.' 

Carlisle pointed out there is a specific state law that prohibits leaving a dog tied up outside in any extreme weather conditions, including under a hurricane or tropical storm warning.

'Please do not keep your family members tied to a rope or chain' the police department in Montgomery County said on Facebook. 'It is against the law to keep a dog on a chain during extreme weather conditions.'

Poor dog abandoned in Texas as flood waters rise

Ohmygosh, this is absolutely heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

People are sick and cruel!  Makes me want to chain them up and leave them in flooding.  Blessings to the people that saved these babies and hades to the ones that left their animals to die.  No telling how many of those we'll never know about.  I pray for them. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I almost didn't open this thread.  I knew what it was going to say.  I'm glad the dog was freed but wish the woman who freed it had taken it with her.  He still might have died during the storm.  I can't imagine what type of person would leave their dog tied up during a storm.  I would always take my pets with me, even if it meant sleeping in the car with them in a safe town.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry @KingstonsMom, but you should have posted a "Warning" about coming to this thread. I think it can be traumatizing to some...just saying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm sorry @KingstonsMom, but you should have posted a "Warning" about coming to this thread. I think it can be traumatizing to some...just saying.

@SilleeMee

Did you not notice "Disturbing" in my thread title?

I did warn, so that's on you if you didn't notice it.

Valued Contributor

I feel sick to my stomach... I am going to pray now, on my knees, for all the animals that are alone and going through this monster hurricane.