Trusted Contributor

Re: AUTO INSURANCE SUGGESTIONS

@jlkz   I think that's a GREAT IDEA that I never would have thought of myself (mostly because I've been with USAA for all my insurance needs for 30 yrs!!).

I googled and found MANY local insurance brokers so I'll start contacting various brokers and see how helpful each can be for my needs.  Thank you for the suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

AAA is the way to go. The only insurance co. that DH and I have been pleasantly surprised with their wonderful service.

I so agree about customer service with them, as one of the reasons I've always been happy with them.

Also, as to customer service, if one has the AAA card for other (than insurance) services, their customer service is amazing!  

One thing, whenever I've had to call for a battery issue, or ANYTHING for that matter, one of the questions that they will ask me is "do you feel safe where you are?".   Because, if you don't they will make additional steps to make sure you are safe.  

Honored Contributor

I love AAA for car services, but their insurance premiums blew my mind. When I called them for a quote a few years back the lowest they could offer was $240+ a month. I ended up with Geico and no complaints so far. Geico is less than half of what AAA offered.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

After 30 years with USAA I'm finally ready to "pull the plug" and transfer all my accounts to other providers.

About 10 days ago I spent an hour on the phone with a USAA CS agent.  We went over all aspects of my auto coverage and she quoted me an annual fee.

Yesterday, I received the official docs for renewal of my auto policy and it was $100 MORE than the agreed up amount.

I had an issue with a grossly mishandled credit card fraud issue last year, so this latest issue has convinced me to finally sever from USAA

Any suggestions for an auto insurance company with U.S. based customer service would be appreciated.

I was with Liberty Mutual for over 35 years.  Never made a claim, home or auto.  Made a claim for water issue shortly after moving into new home and they only wanted to pay about half what it would cost and only a very minor part of what needed to be done, the rest was denied.  We did it on our own but when we came up for renewal (auto and home) our rates went up drastically.  I'm talking hundreds of dollars.  Switched to Allstate and, just like everyone else, rates going higher and higher.  Always told the same thing:  It's your area code, they had the most significant increase, take a drivers course, etc.  After years of comtemplating, I finally sought out a broker.  So, so glad I didn.  Not only did I get better and more coverage on my home, our policies (auto, home and umbrella) went down $1559!.  I also like that I can call and see her with any questions or concerns.  She said to call her if we need to make any claim first and that she will assist and file for us if have to.  

Honored Contributor

I just went through AARP to change my homeowners and auto coverage. I'm saving $600 per year and get better coverage.  

Occasional Contributor

I've been with Travelers for over 20 years and have been very happy with them.  My premium has only been raised when buying a new car and the rate didn't go up much.  When I call them directly with questions, they are patient and answer my detailed questions.  I'm a financial planner and am very picky about insurance companies as well as being frugal.  I'm in Texas but I believe they insure everywhere.  An independent insurance agent should be able to give you a quote or you can contact Travelers directly.