Honored Contributor

AUTISM: New Discoveries, Genetic Connections & DNA Mutations

I heard some of the report late last night.  There's a lot of new information on wha't been discovered.  The following article is easy to read and very informative.

The disorder itself is obviously complex, many factors, but hopefully scientists are getting closer to understanding it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/dna-scan-finds-18-new-autism-genes-n729766

Honored Contributor

Re: AUTISM: New Discoveries, Genetic Connections & DNA Mutations

@Noel7

Great news!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7

Thanks for posting this.   I hope this gets a lot of press .... and the ridiculous insistance that vaccinations cause autism will subside.    Kids need to be vaccinated!   JMO

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - ITA!!

Honored Contributor

Today's report from TechTimes stresses that autism is different for each person:

"...the genetic predisposition to autism may vary for each individual case, supporting the team's previous findings that genetic mutations differ even among siblings with autism.

After laborious investigations, researchers reached the conclusion that some DNA changes affect the genes directly (with large numbers of mutations targeting a single gene), while other alterations influence the genes' activation.

This suggests the genetic predisposition to autism may vary for each individual case, supporting the team's previous findings that genetic mutations differ even among siblings with autism.

According to senior author Dr Stephen Scherer, from The Centre for Applied Genomics at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, the study's extensive database facilitates a more comprehensive examination of the entire autism spectrum, which ranges from mild social awkwardness, including Asperger's syndrome, to profound mental retardation, debilitating repetitive behaviors, and an inability to communicate.

As many cases showed, some of the studied genetic mutations were identified in families with members affected by autism to various degrees. Typically, one person had a more severe form of the condition, while the others were experiencing milder symptoms.

This speaks to the neurodiversity found in the autism spectrum, Scherer indicates, adding the wide MSSNG database enabled them to also identify "resilient individuals who carry autism-associated gene variations without developing autism".

- See more at: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/200548/20170307/huge-leap-forward-in-understanding-autism-18-new-g...

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Noel7

Great news!Heart

I think so, too @KingstonsMom

They also now think the process begins before birth, during development.  I'm hoping that means they may find a way to intervene in the not so distant future.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Unless you have had a child with autism you have no right to say vaccinations can't cause Autism and how ridiculous you think that is! I watched my son develop normally and hit all the milestones ahead of time. Then at 2 years he old he had three shots all on the same day. Two days later he could no longer talk,show any emotion. I lost my boy after those vaccinations! I could go on and on about the hell and pain my son has gone through to be able to speak again and understand the world around him and all the pain and heartache it is to watch him go through it. The government would never admit it was the vaccinations! They would have lawsuits up the ying yang! Please don't judge families who say it was the shots that gave my child Autism. You don't know their story or the pain that they will go through for the rest of their and their child's life.

Honored Contributor

@RacerGirl wrote:

Unless you have had a child with autism you have no right to say vaccinations can't cause Autism and how ridiculous you think that is! I watched my son develop normally and hit all the milestones ahead of time. Then at 2 years he old he had three shots all on the same day. Two days later he could no longer talk,show any emotion. I lost my boy after those vaccinations! I could go on and on about the hell and pain my son has gone through to be able to speak again and understand the world around him and all the pain and heartache it is to watch him go through it. The government would never admit it was the vaccinations! They would have lawsuits up the ying yang! Please don't judge families who say it was the shots that gave my child Autism. You don't know their story or the pain that they will go through for the rest of their and their child's life.

@racergirl88

So sorry .....  I can't imagine what you've gone through.   

It's entirely possible something was triggered by the vaccinations, and unless you've have him tested for the genetic predispositions, no one will ever know.

Since millions and millions of children vaccinated over many decades suffered no ill effects from having the recommended shots, IMO, the research has to also focus on why some did have an abnormal reaction, and, hopefully identify it.  JMO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RacerGirl wrote:

Their right to say that is guaranteed by the US Constitution.

That said, the advances in research are undeniable.  Genetic mutations are found in utero, before vaccination.

Since they now think some of those mutations can be treatable with medicine, I am sure some people will be happy to know of that possibility.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so very much for posting real scientific info.

This fear of vaccines is so scary and comes from imho

ignorance. Childhood diseases, once eradicated can 

return. I remember polio, measles etc. I am so glad of all

the research.

My grandson has severe childhood apraxia, (not connected with autism)

along with low tone. There is so little know about this condition, it is rare.

Research is extremely sparse. He is doing well and getting

a lot of therapy daily. 

My daughter had a fine pregnancy and did all the right things, so who knows?

Great news on autism