Honored Contributor

AUSTRALIAN SUMS UP THE DECADE IN TWITTER

A waggish Australian amusingly captured the last decade in Twitter by different English-speaker nationalities:

Australians: "Well, I am still here, here's to the next decade".

British: "One may have erred but, also, one grew wiser."

Canadians: "I am sorry for having had a good decade"

Americans: [insert massive oversharing of significant personal matters]

As one with dual American/Canadian citizenship, I can attest that Canadians especially enjoy the gentle ribbing they get from other countries' good-natured stereotyping of them.  The apologetic statement above from the Canucks is right on!

I wish I could remember Martin Short's funny story about how do you tell someone is Canadian?   The answer is something like, if he accidentally bumps into a parking meter, he apologizes to the meter.  Rats, that's not it, I garbled it.  But it's funny when he tells it!   

Honored Contributor

Re: AUSTRALIAN SUMS UP THE DECADE IN TWITTER

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I have always been a fan of Canada and the Canadian people. For some reason I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

When Pres. Bush grounded all flights after 9/11, the Chinese  and  non-English speaking mom of a neighbor was grounded in Canada.

Her daughter told me that her mother was so amazed at how well she was treated, how kind and helpful everyone was.

Someone was able to find a local who actually did speak Chinese and spent  most of the time with the mom.

My friend has told me that TO THIS DAY her mom still raves about how wonderful the Canadian people were to her!

Honored Contributor

Aww, that's so sweet, @Love my grandkids!.   I love the U.S. and Canada so much, my heart swells with gratitude for such stellar twin homelands, forever entwined.

Honored Contributor

To my Australian family,  Happy New Year! You are the best!

Honored Contributor

i learned a new word for the new year!.......WAGGISH. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've been telling people for years that I'm Canadian!Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

I live pretty close to the Canadian border and am quite familiar with Canadians and their culture and this is pretty spot on!

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Respected Contributor

Ah, @Oznell .  Ma mere est Quebecoise!  A lovelier family you can't imagine.  She married my Italian NYer Dad in '51 and in '68 decided to become an American citizen -- a decision that at the time required her to renounce her Canadian citizenship, which was very hard for her to do.  Though she's been a proud American for decades, I think she'll always be a Canadian at heart.  Thanks for the funny anecdote!

Honored Contributor

@vsm--  Hard to imagine a cooler combo than you with your French Canadian and Italian New Yorker heritage!  Tres cosmopolitan....