Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

What would you have done??

@kaydee50 

I would’ve done the exact same thing.

There’s a reason why CitiBank has control over the entrance.

You’re a responsible account holder keeping my money safe,

as well as yours.  

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

I would have done the same.  I suppose the purpose of the locked vestibule is to protect you while you're using the ATM.  So, it may have been alright to hold the door for him as you exited.  But why take a chance.

Honored Contributor

I feel you did the right thing.  With the bank being closed, a criminal could have been hoping to gain access to put a skimmer (not sure it that's the correct term) on the machines.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

No I would not have let in someone whose card didn't work.  Why on earth would I?  The card is a security measure, so I wouldn't help someone bypass it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Now that I understand the 'doors' .....agree he may have wanted to tinker with the ATM machine(s) while bank was closed and on a holiday.  OP did right in my opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would have done the same thing. It's not like he could not have visited a grocery store and obtained cash back, or was there a drive through option that he could have utilized? There are dozens of ways for consumers to access their money nowadays. I believe that there was a reason why his card would not let him access the vestibule. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

I would have kept the door open so he could get in.

Your card was no longer in the ATM, so you would not have any reason to worry about his gaining access to your account.

This happens all the time around here. The bank is closed and you get cash in the vestibule of the bank at the ATM. I have given access on my card to people who have issues with getting the door to open. Not everyone has the same level of dexterity.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Your card was no longer in the ATM, so you would not have any reason to worry about his gaining access to your account.

This happens all the time around here. The bank is closed and you get cash in the vestibule of the bank at the ATM. I have given access on my card to people who have issues with getting the door to open. Not everyone has the same level of dexterity.

WOW! I would never do that.  How about if he/she performed some criminal activity and you could be held accountable??  No way would I have done that!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

WOW! I would never do that.  How about if he/she performed some criminal activity and you could be held accountable??  No way would I have done that!

Held accountable? Sorry but you must be kidding....

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50, you asked so I answered truthfully what I would do. I did not expect to be blasted. Sigh.